Anti-social behaviour (ASB)

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) includes a wide range of unacceptable behaviour that affects the quality of life for residents and others living or working in the community. This behaviour is often a criminal offence and therefore a matter for the Police.

However, we often receive complaints about things that are not anti-social but are more about a different style of living.

Take a look at the table below to find out what is and is not ASB:

Is it anti-social behaviour?
What is ASB? What is NOT ASB?
Domestic violence and abuse - Report to the police first Cooking smells
Physical violence - Report to the police first DIY in reasonable hours
Hate-related incidents (eg based on race, sexual orientation, gender, disability or belief) - Report to the police first Minor car repairs
Verbal abuse, harassment, intimidation or threatening behaviour - Report to the police first Young people gathering socially
Vandalism and damage to properties - Report to the police first Children playing in the street, including ball games
Prostitution, sexual acts or kerb crawling - Report to the police first Parking disputes
Criminal behaviour including using/dealing drugs - Report to the police first Civil disputes between neighbours (eg boundary issues or shared driveways)
Misuse of open spaces, public areas or loitering, including begging and off-road use of vehicles - Report to the police first Disputes over social media
Noise complaints Lifestyle differences
Problem Neighbours Bonfires and BBQ’s
  One off house parties

If any of the above examples listed as 'NOT ASB' are having a harmful impact on a person because they are vulnerable, then we may investigate further.

How do I report anti-social behaviour?

To report anti-social behaviour, you will need to:

  • Visit 'How to report ASB' to find out what steps to follow when reporting an issue.

If someone is in immediate danger, please call 999 now.

Contact the Wigan safeguarding teams if you're concerned about the welfare of a neighbour or if you're worried about the safety of a child.

If it's not an emergency but a crime-related incident contact Greater Manchester Police by calling 101 or reporting it online (external link).

If you want to provide information about an incident anonymously, report it to CrimeStoppers online or call 0800 555111.

Anti-social behaviour case review

  • If you have reported a similar or related incident 3 times in the last 6 months you can ask us to review the case.

What if I live in a housing association property?

If you are a housing association tenant, you can report ASB to your landlord:

© Wigan Council