Noise nuisance - residential

Noise nuisance in a residential area can impact on a person and affect their quality of life and enjoyment of their property. Other noise nuisances include:

When does noise become anti-social?

Persistent noise, particularly between the hours of 11pm and 7am, could be anti-social behaviour. It must occur regularly and continue for a period that makes it unreasonable. One-off events, like parties, will not usually be considered anti-social behaviour unless they cause significant disturbance.

Please be aware that sometimes other people’s behaviour is inconsiderate, but that does not mean it’s anti-social. We often receive complaints about things that are not anti-social but are more about a different style of living. Visit our Anti-social behaviour webpage for further information.

What you can do

You could initially try contacting your neighbour yourself. Explain to them how the noise is affecting you and ask if they could do something about it. In most instances they may not be aware they are causing you a problem - see advice on how to approach this conversation.

Do not:

  • Approach your neighbour if you don't feel safe
  • Approach your neighbour when you feel angry or very upset
  • Be argumentative or use threatening behaviour.

However, if the problem continues you can report it to us.

Before you report it, you should complete a noise diary detailing how and when you are being affected by the noise.

What can we investigate?

Can we investigate?
What we CAN investigateWhat we CANNOT investigate
Dog barking Anonymous complaints
Intruder alarms Noise from unknown sources
Noise from DIY (only if persistent and at unreasonable hours) Day-to-day domestic noise (e.g. footsteps, mowing, washing machines, vacuuming etc.)
Noise from musical instruments (only if persistent and at unreasonable hours) Road traffic noise, railway noise or aircraft noise
Fireworks being set off in the garden or on private land if it is regular and a noise nuisance Emergency vehicles
Loud noise or music e.g. TV, sound system Ball games and children playing in the street
  Fireworks in the street
  Babies crying (if you believe this is a welfare concern, please call the Police or our  children's safeguarding team)
  Neighbours shouting or arguing (if you believe this is a welfare concern please call the Police or our  adult's safeguarding team)

How do I report a noise nuisance?

To report noise nuisance (a form of anti-social behaviour), you will need to:

  • Visit ' How to report ASB' to find out what steps to follow when reporting an issue.

If someone is in immediate danger, please call 999 now.

Contact the Wigan safeguarding teams if you're concerned about the welfare of a neighbour or if you're worried about the safety of a child.

If it's not an emergency but a crime-related incident contact Greater Manchester Police by calling 101 or reporting it online (external link).

If you want to provide information about an incident anonymously, report it to CrimeStoppers online or call 0800 555 111.

Taking private action

Private individuals can take their own action in the Magistrates' Court if they are aggrieved by the existence of a statutory nuisance. The Court can issue an Order requiring the abatement of the nuisance and can also issue a fine. Breach of this Order is punishable by a further fine.

Report dog barking

Before reporting this to us, please consider speaking to your neighbour yourself, if appropriate. 

To report the issue you MUST provide diary sheets. You may need to give evidence in court if we feel a statutory nuisance is occurring.

Before you report dog barking

  1. Download and complete a noise diary for 14 days - detail how and when you are being affected by the barking.
  2. Make a report online and upload your completed noise diary as part of the report
  3. We may ask you to complete further noise diaries if there is an ongoing investigation.

We will not investigate anonymous reports. Your personal details will remain confidential and in most cases we will contact you within 10 working days.

© Wigan Council