The information on this page is aimed at professionals. If you are a parent and want information on what we do please see our:
We work with schools, parents and professionals to help support children with a diagnosis of Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC) by offering advice, support, training and development.
Making a diagnosis as soon as possible means the child can access preventative support services at the point when they are most needed and are most effective. This helps improve the child’s life chances and reduces the pressure on families resulting from their caring responsibilities.
We co-ordinate a panel of experts to diagnose the condition, providing a clear assessment route and sharing information with parents and a multi-disciplinary assessment team. We identify a child’s need and help families find sources of further advice and support.
What we do
- Make a diagnosis of ASC by bringing together experts from various agencies to assess the child
- Produce a profile of the child’s abilities and needs particularly in terms of social and communication development
- Give information about the local and national services and support available to families and how to access them
- Help families identify and address their needs
- Offer emotional support and a point of contact
- Provide information specific to the child’s condition
- Provide training i.e. Early Bird, Early Bird Plus, Early Bird Healthy Minds, Autism Awareness
Referring a child
If you need to refer a child to the ASC panel for a diagnosis (the child will need to have been involved with 2 or more professionals), please print off and complete the referral and consent form and send to:
Wigan Council, ASC Pathway Manager, People: Children and Families, Wigan Life Centre (South), College Avenue, PO Box 100, WN1 3DS.
Contact us for details of training courses for:
- Autism awareness and sensory integration - Basic and intermediate understanding of appropriate strategies
- ASC – Managing challenging behaviour - Difficulties faced by children and strategies to manage behaviour
- Transition planning for pupils with ASC - Strategies to support pupils through transition
- Team Teach - Behavioural handling techniques and strategies
- Autism Inclusion Development Plan (IDP) - How it can be used within schools to support pupils.