We offer a range of free training and support sessions aimed at parents and carers whose children have received an autism diagnosis. Our learning programme is designed to empower families with the knowledge, skills and strategies to support and understand their child’s autism.
Some sessions are delivered online in webinar format and include a question and answer session, and some are delivered at venues across the borough.
If you have any queries please contact Lorraine Price, Autism Pathway Manager by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Understanding autism session
This workshop looks at different aspects of autism including, understanding your child’s diagnosis, communication, behaviour and sensory differences.
- 13th September 2021, 12:30pm-2:30pm, at the A Team Hub
- 28th September 2021 - 9:30am-11:30am, at the A Team Hub
- 26th October 2021, 12:30pm-2:30pm - venue to be confirmed
- 25th January 2022, 9:30am-11:30am - venue to be confirmed
- 22nd February 2022, 1pm-3pm - venue to be confirmed
- 18th May 2022, 9:30am-11:30am - venue to be confirmed
Understanding behaviour and sleep online workshop
This workshop presented by Andy Sampson from Embrace Wigan and Leigh is designed to give parents and carers a greater understanding and practical strategies of behaviour and sleep difficulties related to autism.
Understanding communication online workshop
This online workshop is designed to help parents and carers develop a greater understanding of communication differences in autism, including strategies to support and develop your child's communication.
Girls and autism online workshop
This online workshop is delivered by a member of the CAMHS team Fiona Bullivant who has published a book on this topic.
Local Offer and support services session
- 17th November 2021, 9:30am-11:30am - venue to be confirmed
Supporting your child’s social, emotional and mental health online workshop
This online workshop is delivered by the Kooth team and provides a quick overview of what is wellbeing and noticing changes in young people’s wellbeing and mental health, offering practical advice on non-judgemental listening and self-care.
Sensory differences in autism online workshop
Delivered by the specialist occupational therapy team, this workshop will give you an understanding of the sensory differences in autism and how these can impact your child, as well as providing practical strategies.
Supporting children with ADHD online workshop
This online webinar will be delivered by Chris Jackson, specialist ADHD nurse from Wrightington Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust.
Supporting your child with their transition workshop
This workshop looks at different aspects of autism including supporting children with autism as they move into secondary school.
- 22nd March 2022, 9:30am-11:30am - venue to be confirmed
- 26th April 2022, 12:30pm-2:30pm - venue to be confirmed
Supporting your child’s emotional regulation
- 2022 dates and further details to be confirmed.
Watch our autism training video
You can watch our short 40 minute autism training session online. It provides families with an understanding of their child’s autism diagnosis, and covers communication, behaviour and sensory differences in autism.
Early Bird courses are currently unavailable due to local COVID-19 restrictions, please keep checking this page for new course dates and information.
Who's it for? Parents/carers who have a child with a diagnosis of autism aged 5 years and under.
The course is delivered over a period of eleven weeks, consisting of 8 weeks training and 3 home visit weeks. A follow-up session is held three months after the course. Early Bird aims to:
- Support parents/carers in the period between diagnosis and school placement by helping them to establish good practice in handling their child at an early age
- Improve understanding of autism and help parents/carers make contact
- Find ways to develop interaction and communication between parent and child
- Show parents/carers how to analyse and understand their child’s behaviours and how to use structure, so they can pre-empt and cope with problem behaviours.
Early Bird Plus
Early Bird Plus courses are currently unavailable due to local COVID-19 restrictions, please keep checking this page for new course dates and information.
Who's it for? Parents/carers whose child has received a diagnosis of autism and is aged 4-8 years and in Early Years or Key Stage One provision.
The course consists of eight group sessions and two home visit weeks. A follow-up session is held six months after the course. Early Bird Plus aims to:
- Address the needs of both home and school settings by training parents/carers together with a professional who is working regularly with their child so that the child is given consistent support
- Build both parents/carers and professionals’ confidence and encourage them to problem solve together.