We offer a range of free training and support sessions aimed at parents and carers whose children have received an autism diagnosis. These are currently being delivered online in webinar format and include a question and answer session.
Our online learning programme is designed to empower families with the knowledge, skills and strategies to support and understand their child’s autism.
If you have any queries please contact Elaine Walker, Autism Pathway Manager on 01942 486284 or email E.Walker@wigan.gov.uk
Webinars / videos
Understanding autism webinar
Who's it for? Parents/carers who have a child or young person aged 5-16 with a diagnosis of autism. This webinar looks at different aspects of autism for children, including:
- Understanding your child’s diagnosis
- Sensory differences.
When is it happening and how can I book a place? Choose from our list of dates and times below and follow the link to book onto the 'understanding autism' webinar:
Watch our autism training video
You can watch our short 40 minute autism training session online. It provides families with an understanding of their child’s autism diagnosis, and covers communication, behaviour and sensory differences in autism.
Sensory differences in autism workshop
This online workshop delivered by the specialist occupational therapy team will give you an understanding of the sensory differences in autism and how these can impact your child. This workshop is designed to look at practical strategies alongside understanding your child’s sensory needs.
Understanding behaviour and sleep workshop
This workshop presented by Andy Sampson from Embrace is designed to give parents and carers a greater understanding and practical strategies to manage behaviour and sleep difficulties related to autism.
This online workshop, delivered by the ASC specialist speech therapy team is designed to help parents and carers develop a greater understanding of communication differences in autism, including strategies to support and develop your child's communication.
How to write and use a social story
This online workshop, delivered by the specialist ASC speech therapy team is designed to support parents develop a greater understanding of how to write and use a Social Story to help your child understand a social situation.
Early Bird courses are currently unavailable due to local COVID-19 restrictions, please keep checking this page for new course dates and information.
Who's it for? Parents/carers who have a child with a diagnosis of autism aged 5 years and under.
The course is delivered over a period of eleven weeks, consisting of 8 weeks training and 3 home visit weeks. A follow-up session is held three months after the course. Early Bird aims to:
- Support parents/carers in the period between diagnosis and school placement by helping them to establish good practice in handling their child at an early age
- Improve understanding of autism and help parents/carers make contact
- Find ways to develop interaction and communication between parent and child
- Show parents/carers how to analyse and understand their child’s behaviours and how to use structure, so they can pre-empt and cope with problem behaviours.
Early Bird Plus
Early Bird Plus courses are currently unavailable due to local COVID-19 restrictions, please keep checking this page for new course dates and information.
Who's it for? Parents/carers whose child has received a diagnosis of autism and is aged 4-8 years and in Early Years or Key Stage One provision.
The course consists of eight group sessions and two home visit weeks. A follow-up session is held six months after the course. Early Bird Plus aims to:
- Address the needs of both home and school settings by training parents/carers together with a professional who is working regularly with their child so that the child is given consistent support
- Build both parents/carers and professionals’ confidence and encourage them to problem solve together.