Wigan Council received additional funds from the Department for Transport Cycle City programme to make cycling more attractive in Wigan borough.
Phase 1 of the plans included dedicated cycle and pedestrian facilities and cycle crossings on Robin Park Road.
Phase 2 plans were to improve cycling at the Saddle Junction and around the Newtown area, including Wallgate.
These works are now complete and residents can benefit from:
- Dedicated cycle facilities, which are segregated from traffic and pedestrians
- Wider footways to allow cyclists and pedestrians to share the space segregated from traffic
- New and improved crossing points for pedestrians and cyclists
- Improved access to Robin Park shopping and leisure complex, Wigan town centre and other local amenities
- New cycle parking facilities.
Have your say
Drop in sessions took place in Summer 2017 and with valuable feedback we have now successfully completed the works.
In addition to the two schemes above in response to resident feedback, we made improvements to the Ormskirk Road cycle scheme with new floor vinyls and extra signage.