We’re investing in our borough’s transport networks and town centres for better access to jobs, education, health and leisure.
Proposals, consultations and have your say
- Cycling and walking - We are improving our cycling and walking networks to make it easier and safer for pedestrians and cyclists to move around the borough, encouraging healthy lifestyles, a reduction in carbon emissions and better access to facilities, services and retail
- Junction Improvements - We are improving the junctions in our borough to improve capacity and safety for pedestrians and cyclists
- Road networks - We are making improvements to our road networks to make your journey easier and quicker.
Schemes at construction
We want our borough to be fully connected, which means investing in digital infrastructure and services to help our businesses and residents to better exploit the digital age, to promote their services, create new avenues of business and become better connected.
Activation and behaviour change
To increase cycling and walking activity across Wigan Borough and reduce vehicle use, we're developing a comprehensive programme of infrastructure improvements schemes including:
- Off and on road cycling and walking routes
- New and upgraded crossing points
- Low traffic neighbourhoods and parklets.
However, we know that providing infrastructure alone will not automatically lead to increased levels of use. To ensure that schemes better meet the needs of the local community and are well-utilised, we will be engaging with people at an early stage of schemes, and collaborating with cycling and walking organisations and agencies to find solutions and develop activity plans together.
The ultimate aim of this collaboration is to encourage more sustainable travel choices, particularly enabling walking and cycling for short journeys, helping to reduce congestion, improve air quality and improve health.
Proposals are in the early stages and more details will be posted when further developed.