We’re all about people here, striving to make Wigan Borough an amazing and inclusive place to live, work and visit.
We foster a kind and positive team culture and support one another to get things done, whilst encouraging innovation and accountability through our Team Wigan Behaviours.
There is a job here for everyone, regardless of what stage in your career you’re at. We are committed to supporting local people to benefit from the good jobs we have on offer.
Making a difference by working at Team Wigan
Whether you’re on the frontline emptying bins, working behind the scenes in legal or planning, or marrying people and registering babies in our beautiful town halls, it takes a broad variety of skills to keep Wigan Council moving. Many - if not all - people who work for local authorities are inspired by a desire to improve things for local people.
And #TeamWigan is no different. It’s made up of lots of special people who champion our borough and everything that makes it brilliant. To shine a light on some of their stories, we launched our Making a Difference campaign.
You can find out more about the huge range of opportunities available at Wigan Council in our video.
What do our Team Wigan behaviours mean?
Our Team Wigan behaviours make the place what it is. They are all about our shared values and attitudes. It’s how we do things, and means we have created a friendly, positive, inclusive environment where regardless of your job we are all valued. And even better, they are easy to remember:
- Be Positive - "Take Pride in all that you do and support and develop yourself and others."
- Be Accountable - "Be responsible for making things better, enabling change and supporting improvement."
- Be Courageous - "Be open to doing things differently and working collaboratively with others."
- Be Kind - "Be helpful, generous and thoughtful towards yourself and others."
If you are positive, accountable, courageous, and kind, Wigan Council is the perfect place for starting out in your career or your next career move!
Why else is it great to work at Wigan Council?
We are a huge organisation, which means we have lots of opportunities. So, if you are looking for a job or just starting out in your career there is something here for you. Did you know we don’t just empty the bins, we have town planners, lawyers, accountants,occupational therapists, catering assistants, mechanics, all the trades and fitness instructors, just to name a few.
We are always happy to support your development and offer lots of career progression opportunities, whether that be an apprenticeship, access to 100s of courses, support to continue your professional development or even access to a degree in management. Your manager will always be happy to help to develop you.
It’s a busy and friendly place to be, a place where visitors are always blown away at how much we do and how brilliantly we do it. They love the team spirit that we have here, no matter what level you are at, we all roll up our sleeves and work together to get things done.
We truly care for everyone who works at Team Wigan
We are one big team, so if you think that working in one of our seven directorates is for you, whether that be our social care, finance, environment, Be Well, customer service or public health teams then why not head over to our job site, greater.jobs, and see what’s available for you.
greater.jobs is our Greater Manchester job platform where you will see all our vacancies advertised, together with those from other local authorities. The website is continuously updated so make sure you visit regularly.
If Wigan Council sounds like the place for you, keep your eyes open for our community recruitment events and come for a brew and chat so we can tell you more. The events happen three times per year which we advertise on greater.jobs and on our Wigan Council social media channels.
On top of a great and inclusive place to work, Wigan also provides the following benefits to improve work-life balance:
- Generous Annual Leave entitlement - up to 32 days plus bank holidays.
- Special Leave - managers can grant up to 10 paid days in any given year to support you during those difficult times when you may need time out (pro-rata for part time employees).
- Caring for our Carers - Support in place if you have caring responsibilities.
- Family Life Policies - a range of family support including maternity, paternity, shared parental, adoption and fostering leave.
- Blended approach to work - working flexibly across My Place (homes), Our Place (Office space) and Your Place (community).
- Flexible working - We operate flexi time where we can and are happy to consider flexible working patterns if the service can accommodate this.
- Thinking digitally - providing you with the technology you need to do your job and access information from any place.
- Our Culture and Behaviours - Team Wigan is who we are and how we do things, a shared culture that embodies being kind, positive, accountable, and courageous.
Read more about Working for Wigan Council.