Flexible learning and courses (19 and over)
We offer flexible programmes of learning (which may or may not involve a qualification) to help build confidence, develop skills and enhance your employability prospects and overall wellbeing.
Typical programmes of learning include:
Learning in local communities
These informal courses aim to:
- Improve confidence and willingness to engage
- Expand and develop skills
- Improve digital and communication skills
- Enhance health and social wellbeing
- Improve employment prospects.
See our full list of available courses.
Maths and English
Qualifications are available in English and Maths from Entry Level 1 through to Level 2.
Anyone who would like to gain a qualification in English or Maths, including parents wishing to improve their own skills to help their children with their school work, would benefit from this course.
Traineeships (16-24 years)
Traineeships provide unemployed young people, aged 16 to 24, with the skills and experience to progress into an apprenticeship or sustainable work.
They offer a combination of education, training and work experience that prepares people for their future careers by helping them to become 'work ready'.
The core offer includes the following mandatory elements:
- Work-preparation training
- English and Maths.
Other adult learning opportunities (19 and over)
Learning opportunities 16-19 years
A number of learning providers can help young people aged 16-19 access a range of accredited courses and programmes.
The Growth Company courses and skills support
- Growth Company study programme (16-25 years) - offering a range of qualifications at the local Wigan Training Centre as well work experience opportunities. A training allowance of up to £30 per week is available
- Skills support for growth (15-18 years) – offering bespoke one-to-one support with job searching skills, CV building and interview skills as well as personal support with anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, young offending and emotional wellbeing.
To find out more about The Growth Company’s courses and skills support call 01942 527770.
Digital and numeracy skills (all ages)
A range of courses are available for all ages to increase your digital and numeracy skills, including:
- The Skills Toolkit (external link) – Free, high-quality digital and numeracy courses to build your skills and boost your job prospects
- Get online - Support to help you access the internet, introduce you to email, complete online forms as well as TechMates, our telephone digital mentoring service
- iDEA Award - An online programme that helps you develop digital and enterprise skills for free.
Find out where to get Wifi or access to a computer in Wigan borough.
Employment and life skills (all ages)