Flexible learning and courses (19 and over)
We offer flexible programmes of learning (which may or may not involve a qualification) to help build confidence, develop skills and enhance your employability prospects and overall wellbeing.
Typical programmes of learning include:
Learning in local communities
These informal courses aim to:
- Improve confidence and willingness to engage
- Expand and develop skills
- Improve digital and communication skills
- Enhance health and social wellbeing
- Improve employment prospects.
See our full list of available courses.
Maths and English
Qualifications are available in English and Maths from Entry Level 1 through to Level 2.
Anyone who would like to gain a qualification in English or Maths, including parents wishing to improve their own skills to help their children with their school work, would benefit from this course.
Traineeships (16-24 years)
Traineeships provide unemployed young people, aged 16 to 24, with the skills and experience to progress into an apprenticeship or sustainable work.
They offer a combination of education, training and work experience that prepares people for their future careers by helping them to become 'work ready'.
The core offer includes the following mandatory elements:
- Work-preparation training
- English and Maths.
See overview of traineeships and how to apply for a traineeship (external link) including case studies, information factsheets, video content and webinars.
Other adult learning opportunities (19 and over)
Learning opportunities 16-19 years
A number of learning providers can help young people aged 16-19 access a range of accredited courses and programmes.
- Wigan and Leigh College - Apprenticeships (external link) - we offer a wide range of subjects including A Level subjects, Vocational and Technical qualifications such as BTECs and Apprenticeships
- Traineeships GOV.UK (external link)
- Cast North West (external link)
- Expanse learning (external link)
- Fir Tree Fishery (external link) - courses are very practical in nature and involve activities such as land-based, horticulture as well as life skills and outdoor work preparation
- GK training services (external link) - Study Programmes for 16-18 year olds, including functional skills, valuable work experience and enhancement of employability skills
- Groundwork (external link) - A local charity that helps support young people and adults to make life changing decisions to improve their life skills, employment opportunities. The programme is for anyone aged 16-25 who is looking to gain qualifications, work on confidence, self-esteem, gain work experience, have fun and develop their job prospects. The qualification is the Prince's Trust certificate in Employment, Teamwork and Community skills.
- The Growth Company education and skills (external link) - qualifications at both GCSE level (including maths and English) and functional skills, as well as high quality work experience placements
- Wigan Athletic training and skills (external link) - a Level 2 Football and Education Programme with the opportunity to train and play for Wigan Athletic Community Trust
- Wigan Warriors education courses (external link)
- Evolve Military College (external link) - an Armed Forces Preparation Traineeship which has a maximum duration of 26 weeks
- TMP Creative College (external link) - courses in Music Performance and Technology, Multimedia, Tattoo Design & Illustration and Makeup and SFX
- The Prince's Trust (external link) - free courses and tailored one-to-one support to help you gain valuable work experience, explore career choices and build your skills and confidence
- Wigan Youth Zone (external link) - an 8 week employability course which incorporates accreditations, a two week work placement and developing your own skills.
The Growth Company courses and skills support
- Growth Company study programme (16-25 years) - offering a range of qualifications at the local Wigan Training Centre as well work experience opportunities. A training allowance of up to £30 per week is available
- Skills support for growth (15-18 years) – offering bespoke one-to-one support with job searching skills, CV building and interview skills as well as personal support with anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol abuse, young offending and emotional wellbeing.
To find out more about The Growth Company’s courses and skills support call 01942 527770.
Digital and numeracy skills (all ages)
A range of courses are available for all ages to increase your digital and numeracy skills, including:
- The Skills Toolkit (external link) - Free, high-quality digital and numeracy courses to build your skills and boost your job prospects
- Get online - Support to help you access the internet, introduce you to email, complete online forms as well as TechMates, our telephone digital mentoring service
- iDEA Award - An online programme that helps you develop digital and enterprise skills for free.
Employment and life skills (all ages)