Applying for a reception class place for September 2022
If your child was born between 1st September 2017 and 31st August 2018, they will start reception class at the start of the new school year in September 2022.
National Offer Day
National Offer Day fell during the Easter Bank Holiday weekend. In line with the School Admissions Code, offers are made on the next working day which is Tuesday 19th April 2022.
If you have applied online, on 19th April 2022 you will receive an email from 9am and you will be able to view your result on the School Admissions Portal. If you have applied using a paper application form, you will be notified of the result by letter.
If you have applied online and your email shows that you have not got a place at one of your preferred schools, you will receive a letter with details of which criterion your application fell under. Information on how places were allocated can be found further down this page. We will also provide information on how to appeal and waiting lists.
Please wait for your letter to arrive. If your letter has not arrived by 26th April 2022, please contact The School Organisation Team on 01942 489013.
How places were allocated
The documents below give details of how places were allocated at each oversubscribed Wigan primary school. If you have been refused a place at any of these schools, you will be sent a letter with the reason your child was refused a place.
- All Saints’ Catholic Primary School, Golborne (3407)
- Aspull Church Primary School (3426)
- Bedford Hall Methodist Primary School (3027)
- Britannia Bridge Primary School (2033)
- Christ Church CE Primary School, Pennington (3419)
- Garrett Hall Primary School (2058)
- Gilded Hollins Primary School (2053)
- Hindley Junior and Infant School (2031)
- Holy Family Catholic Primary, New Springs (3387)
- Leigh Central Primary School (2034)
- Leigh St John’s CE Primary School (3425)
- Leigh St Mary’s CE Primary School (3424)
- Lowton Junior and Infant School (2039)
- Mab’s Cross Primary School (2013)
- Marus Bridge Primary School (2015)
- Meadowbank Primary School (2045)
- Millbrook Primary School (2062)
- Orrell Holgate Academy (2023)
- Orrell Newfold Primary School (2026)
- Our Lady’s RC Primary School, Wigan (3386)
- Parklee Primary School (2046)
- Shevington Vale Primary School (2050)
- St Aidan’s Catholic Primary School, Wigan (3336)
- St Ambrose Barlow Catholic Primary School (3415)
- St Andrew’s CE Primary School, Wigan (3300)
- St Catharine’s CE Primary School (3338)
- St Luke’s CE Primary School (3377)
- St Mary and St John Catholic Primary School (3326)
- St Michael’s CE Primary School, Howe Bridge (3370)
- St Stephen’s CE Primary School, Astley (3374)
- St Thomas’ CE Junior and Infant School, Golborne (3379)
- St Thomas’ CE Primary School, Leigh (3030)
- Wigan Worsley Mesnes Primary School (2010)
- Winstanley Primary School (2017)
- Woodfield Primary School (2007).
Appeals and waiting lists
If you have been refused a place at a Wigan primary school you have the right to appeal that decision. Children refused a place at a Wigan primary school will be added to the school's waiting list which will be kept until 31st December 2022.
Before submitting your appeal:
Appeals for a place at Wigan community, foundation, academy, Church of England and Catholic schools in the Salford diocese
To appeal for a place at Wigan community, foundation, academy and Church of England, you will need to:
Appeals for a place at an Archdiocese of Liverpool primary school
To appeal for a place at Wigan Catholic primary school in the Archdiocese of Liverpool, you will need to:
If you have not yet applied for a primary school place, or you wish to change your mind about the preferences or the order of preferences after the closing date, you must complete a late application form.
We will only look at late applications and late changes of preference after we have dealt with the applications we received on time. This means that you are less likely to get a place at the school you want.
It is important that you read the ‘Applying for a place at primary school 2022/23’ booklet below before making your application.
If you need any help using the online service please contact the School Organisation Team on 01942 489013.
Application forms are also available from Wigan primary schools.
If any of the schools you want your child to go to is a Wigan voluntary aided primary school the governors will need extra information so that they can consider your application against their faith criteria. If you do not give this information your child may be refused a place.
You are strongly advised to complete a supplementary information form for each voluntary aided school you name as a preference.
Parents are responsible for checking that supplementary forms sent by post have been received by the school.
Delayed entry to primary school
The Council has a legal responsibility to protect the data it collects. For more information see our privacy notice: