Moving schools

Applications during school holidays

Please note that we cannot allocate places during school holidays. As school holidays differ for different schools we work to the standard holiday pattern

If you want to transfer your child's school you must apply for a transfer.

We deal with in year applications for most of the schools in Wigan Borough. If you are applying for a school in another authority, please apply directly to that authority.

Please read the relevant information leaflet before submitting your application. You will receive the outcome of your application between 10 to 15 school days (see below). 

Note: This does not apply to applications received during school holidays and at the start of the academic year following the summer break. This is because a large number of applications are made during the summer break. Schools are closed and unable to confirm vacancies or consider applications. This can cause a delay in finalising offers and relaying offers to applicants.

Primary school transfers

Before applying for a transfer of school, parents must read the following leaflet: In Year Primary Leaflet

Secondary school transfers

Before applying for a transfer of school, parents must read the following leaflet: In Year Secondary Leaflet

To apply for a place at Fred Longworth High School please visit the school's website for details and apply directly to the school. The below application form must not be used for this school.

  • Secondary school transfer application form -  You will need to download, print and complete the application form. There are two stages to the application process, you need to fully complete all sections of the form prior to returning it to prevent delay. Incomplete forms may be returned.
  • A printed copy of the form can also be posted to you by contacting us on 01942 489013 or by submitting your details through this web form (you should include your name, child/children’s names, child/children’s dates of birth and the full postal address you would like us to send the form to).

You must complete and submit a separate form for each child.

Important information  

Before submitting an application to transfer schools parents/carers must ensure that everyone who qualifies as a 'parent' under education law agrees to the transfer. If at any stage we are informed that anyone who has a right to participate in decisions about your child's education is not in agreement to a school transfer we cannot process your application. The Local Authority cannot mediate disputes between parents. Parents must resolve disputes about transfers between themselves, legally if necessary. For further information please read the government's guidance Understanding and dealing with issues relating to parental responsibility (external link).

Schools that deal with their own in year transfer applications:

You can contact the school to apply.

If you wish you can download and print the following application form and send it to the school direct.  The school will contact you with the outcome of your application.

School Admission Booklets

For information on all Wigan schools, please view the latest admission to primary / secondary school booklet.

Church schools

If any of your preferred schools are church schools, you should fill in the school's own information form as well as an in year application form and return it to the school.

In Year Fair Access Protocol

We sometimes receive requests for places from Wigan residents and are not able to offer a place at a school within a reasonable distance of where the child lives. In these situations, the Director for Children and Families will use our Fair Access Protocol to allocate a place at a community, voluntary controlled, foundation, academy or voluntary aided (church) school, even if the year group is full.

Children who qualify for a place using our Fair Access Protocol must be given priority over children on a waiting list who attend a school.

© Wigan Council