Travel support for Ukrainians

If you are a Ukrainian refugee living with a host family or relative in Greater Manchester you could be entitled to one of the following travel concessions or discounts.

Free travel for Ukrainians arriving in Greater Manchester

To help Ukrainian nationals arriving in Greater Manchester, Metrolink tram services, rail services and the majority of bus and coach services in the region are being provided free of charge for the first 48 hours after arrival in the UK.

Free travel for under 5's

Children under 5 travel free on buses, trains and trams in Greater Manchester. When they reach the age of 5 they must pay the child fare.

iGo bus pass for ages 5 - 16

If you're aged 5 to 16, you will require an iGo to purchase concessionary child tickets on buses and trams. An iGo card costs £10 and lasts until 31st August after your 16th birthday.

You can also buy TfGM schools weekly ticket and 10 trip carnet (available on school bus services only), smart versions of System One Junior, AnyBus tickets and some tickets sold by individual bus companies.

To be eligible for an iGo you need to be:

  • Living in Greater Manchester
  • Between the age of 5 and 16.

Our Pass - bus pass for ages 16 - 18

If you're aged 16-18, the Our Pass entitles holders to free travel on local bus services across Greater Manchester and they can also buy off-peak 1-day and weekend travelcards for the tram (Metrolink) at half adult prices. When applying for Our Pass, there is a one-off application fee of £10.

To be eligible for an Our Pass you need to be:

  • Living in Greater Manchester
  • Between the age of 16 and 18.

Travel pass for older people

Travel for free on all buses within Greater Manchester between 9.30am and midnight, Monday to Friday, and all day at weekends and on public holidays.

You can also choose to pay £10 to add tram and train to your pass, for a year’s unlimited off-peak travel on Metrolink and trains within Greater Manchester. You can then travel on Metrolink trams and in trains after 9.30am on Monday to Friday, and all day on weekends and public holidays.

To get a travel pass for older people from TfGM you must:

  • Be aged 66 or over
  • Be living in Greater Manchester, (if you live outside Greater Manchester, you can apply for a pass in your own area but you cannot add tram and train travel within Greater Manchester to passes issued by other areas).

Travel pass for disabled people

If you are disabled, you could be eligible for a pass that gives you free and low-cost travel in Greater Manchester and the rest of England under the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme. Depending on your disability, you could qualify for either a travel pass for disabled people or a travel plus pass for disabled people.

How to apply for a travel pass

If you would like to apply for any of the travel schemes mentioned on this page, please email with the following:

  • Name of scheme you are applying for
  • Address you are residing at in Greater Manchester
  • If you are part of the 'Homes for Ukraine Scheme' or staying with a relative.

The team will support you through the application process.

© Wigan Council