Money advice for council tenants

We have staff who can help our tenants save and make the most of their money.

We can help you:

  • Get back into employment
  • Claim all the benefits you are entitled to
  • Budget and manage your money
  • Access affordable credit and saving accounts and trust fund grants
  • Apply for basic bank accounts
  • By giving you help and advice on debts
  • By telling you about free agencies who can give you specialist advice on all of the above.

Please contact us if you would like help to manage your money.

Working out your budget

One of the first things you need to do is work out your budget by listing all the income and expenses for your household. This will help you to work out what money is available to pay off any debts that you have. It will also help you to see if there is anywhere you can make a saving.

An advice agency can also help you to draw up a budget.

Use this sheet to share with any people you owe money to when you are negotiating repayments.

Maximising your income

It may be possible that you can increase your income to help you meet your debts. This could include:

  • Increase your hours at work or change jobs - we have staff that can help you get back into employment
  • Making sure you are getting all the welfare benefits and tax credits you are entitled to
  • Checking whether you have any protection insurance on mortgages, loans or credit cards and making a claim
  • Re-organising your finances - you may be able to get a better deal from some creditors if you pay by direct debit
  • Seeing if you can change suppliers - for things like fuel, telephone, internet, or insurance
  • Look into getting a lodger if you own your own house - this will give you some extra income, some company and there are generous tax allowances too - see the government rent a room scheme (external link)
  • Selling your home to buy a smaller/cheaper one - however be very careful if you are considering selling your home to a company and then renting it back from them. This industry is not regulated which means the buyer does not have to follow any rules and will not usually have to pay out compensation if things go wrong.

Getting the right advice

Being in debt can be a difficult and emotional time. It is important to get the right advice and support. The main thing is to do something as soon as you can when you are facing money problems.

You can get independent advice from the Citizens Advice (external link) or National Debtline (external link).

If you have arrears on your rent or mortgage and there is a risk that you could lose your home, so contact us for advice.

© Wigan Council