Council Tax Reduction

The Council Tax Reduction scheme replaces the previous Council Tax Benefit scheme.

Who can apply for Council Tax Reduction?

To apply for Council Tax Reduction you must be a person whose name is on the Council Tax bill.

You may qualify if you are:

  • On Universal Credit, Income Support, Jobseeker's Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance
  • On Pension Credit, Guaranteed Credit and in some cases Savings Credit
  • Working and on low pay (including people who are self employed)
  • On a low income. For example, you might only get a retirement pension or be getting social security benefits, like Incapacity Benefit.

How much can I get?

Depending on the household income and savings:

  • Pensioner households and households with children under 5 years of age may be able to get a reduction of up to 100% of their bill
  • Working age household with no children under 5 may be able to get a reduction of up to 80% of their bill.

How to apply

You must apply directly to us. You can only get Council Tax Reduction from the date we receive your application.

You need to tell us straight away if you are receiving a Council Tax Reduction and you have a change in circumstances.

We are unable to offer backdated support, entitlement to Council Tax Reduction will only begin from the day we actually receive a valid claim.

Please note: If, after assessing your claim, we find you qualify for a reduction, you will receive a revised bill.  However, if you do not qualify we will not contact you and your bill will remain the same.

Disputes and appeals

If you do not agree with a decision we have made regarding your Council Tax Reduction application then you have the right to ask us to look at the decision again or appeal.

Discretionary Reduction

If you’re in a difficult financial situation, you may be entitled to a Discretionary Council Tax Reduction. The council covers the full cost of this, therefore applications will be considered against the needs of all local tax payers.

© Wigan Council