Housing Benefit - Disputes and appeals

If you disagree with the decision we have made about your Housing Benefit, there are a number of steps you can take.

Please note: You have one calendar month from the date you received the decision letter to dispute or appeal a decision made regarding your Housing Benefit.

Ask for an explanation of the decision

This is known as a ‘written statement of reasons’. If you would like us to explain how we have made a decision about your Housing Benefit, you can:

Ask for us to look at the decision again

If you think the information used to make the decision is wrong or you have additional information that we were not aware of, you can ask us to look at the decision again. To do this, you can either:

We will then write to you to let you know whether the decision has been changed.

Appeal the decision

If the information we have is correct but you think we have interpreted it incorrectly or if we have not changed our decision after you have asked for it to be looked at again, you can appeal the decision. To do this, you can either:

© Wigan Council