The role of the Mayor is to represent and be an ambassador for Wigan Borough.
The Mayor’s main responsibilities include:
- Chairing council meetings
- Representing the borough at national and international functions
- Visiting events organised by local charities and community groups
- Meeting delegates from Angers (Wigan's twin town)
- Attending religious events of all denominations.
The Mayor of Wigan is always a serving councillor who is elected by Full Council at their annual general meeting (held each May). Each Mayor stands in office for one year.