House in multiple occupation (HMO) licence

Do I need a licence?

All properties that are occupied by five or more people, from two or more households and sharing an amenity, will be subject to mandatory licensing irrespective of the number of storeys they contain.

The Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government have produced a guidance document (external link), which includes further details on extending mandatory licensing to smaller HMOs and introducing minimum bedroom sizes as the government continues to rebalance the relationship between tenants and landlords.

If your current HMO licence has expired, or is due to expire, you must re-apply.

Licences are now issued for a period of 5 years.

The government have produced a guide for landlords that provides further information on mandatory HMO licensing.

Please be aware that you may require planning permission to convert your property to a house in multiple occupation.


You must ensure that the application form is completed correctly, full payment is made and all of the required supporting documents are included. 

You will need to provide a Basic Criminal Disclosure Certificate (external link), obtained within six months of the date of application. The application cannot be processed without this certificate.

Fees and Charges

New Application = £778.00

Renewal Application = £502.00

Properties with over 10 occupiers will pay an additional fee of £31.00.

Properties with over 20 occupiers will pay an additional fee of £60.00.

We cannot process your application until we are in receipt of the relevant payment.

What standards apply to HMOs?

There are two sets of management regulations applicable to HMOs:

This legislation places certain duties on the individuals managing the property and non compliance with these regulations may result in a prosecution and/or fine (including a civil penalty).

HMOs must also be free of significant hazards under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) and adhere to the Council's HMO Standards, which cover things like minimum room sizes, amenity standards and fire safety requirements.

Licence holders must also comply with our scheme for the recycling, storage and disposal of household waste.

Do I need a Fire Risk Assessment for my HMO?

See the guide below for more information on whether you're required to carry out a fire risk assessment: 

Public Register

We must maintain a public register of all the premises licensed as a HMO, a copy of which is available below.

If you have any enquiries about a property which has been licensed or which you feel should be licensed and is not, please contact us.

© Wigan Council