Parking permit


You are entitled to one resident permit per vehicle if your usual place of residence is within a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ).

You can apply for a resident permit, an annual visitor permit or a daily visitor permit. Your permit should take approximately five working days to arrive.

Each household is allowed one annual visitor permit per year. You cannot use a visitor permit in your own vehicle, it can only be used by people visiting premises.

If you own a property but do not reside there, you are entitled to the daily visitor permit only.

What proof do I need to provide?

When applying for your resident permit, you will need to provide:

  • Full Vehicle Registration Document (V5) or Car Insurance Document that quotes your address. Please note either of these documents will need to be uploaded at the time of application. Only vehicles registered to that property will be entitled to apply for the residents permit.


Businesses are entitled to permits if the business is operating from an address within the controlled parking zone and the vehicle for which the permit is required is necessary for the operation of the business. You can apply for a business permit or a daily business permit.

Contract parking (town centre car parks)

Anyone can purchase a contract parking permit for a town centre car park. The permits can last for three months, six months or one year.

Please note: The Railway Arches car park in Leigh is now permanently closed.

The permit application system is currently being updated to allow customers the option to apply for a Spinning Gate car park contract permit. Before these changes take effect, if you would like to apply for a Spinning Gate contract parking permit, please use the Railway Arches permit type. They will be valid for use on the Spinning Gate car park.

Blue Badge

If you are disabled, a Blue Badge permit will allow you to park legally near to places you need to visit. Find out how to apply:

Discounts on your permit

You are entitled to a 50% discount on a resident permit issued for your vehicle only, as well as on an annual and daily visitor permit, if you are a:

  • Senior citizen aged 60 or above at the time of application
  • Blue Badge holder
  • Registered charity
  • Place of worship.


Wigan Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and to this end may use the information you have provided on your parking permit application form for the prevention and detection of fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

Find further information in relation to this exercise or contact Internal Audit on 01942 827867.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council