If you are disabled, a Blue Badge permit allows you to park legally near to places you need to visit, whether you are travelling as a driver, or as a passenger.
The permit allows you to park free in some pay and display car parks, and on single and double yellow lines in most streets for up to three hours.
How to apply for a Blue Badge
You must re-apply for your Blue Badge every three years and it is your responsibility to do so.
You will need the details of your current badge when re-applying. The earliest you can apply is 6 weeks before your current badge is due to expire.
Part of the online application process is to check your eligibility before you complete the form.
- Apply for a Blue Badge online (external link)
- If you have previously had a Blue Badge, you may have the option to upload your evidence and pay for your badge online.
- If this is your first application for a Blue Badge and your application is approved, you will then need to pay a fee of £10 and attend Wigan Life Centre or Leigh Life Centre to have your photograph taken and documents checked.
- If we decide you need further assessment, an appointment will be arranged to see our independent occupational therapist for a mobility assessment at Wigan or Leigh Life Centres.
- If your application is refused you can appeal in writing by following the Blue Badge appeal process.
- If you move house or your name changes, you will need to update the details on your badge. You can let us know online.
Organisational Blue Badges
Report a change of details
Has your badge been lost, stolen or damaged?
Return your Blue Badge
In some circumstances we require you to return your Blue Badge to Wigan Council, Customer Services, PO BOX 100, Wigan, WN1 3DS. Please return your Blue Badge if:
- The Blue Badge holder has died - If you register a death through our Tell Us Once scheme, you can hand the Blue Badge in at the same time.
- Your walking ability improves, or you stop receiving the higher rate of Disability Living Allowance or your War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement (WPMS) ends
- You do not want to renew your badge or simply no longer have a use for it.