As set out in the Deal 2030, Wigan Council believes all of our children deserve the best start in life and we’re looking for the right people to make this happen across a range of teams.
That’s why it’s essential that we ensure our Children's Services is a dynamic, caring and welcoming place to work, full of well-supported, confident staff who have the resources they need to work to the highest standards.
We want you to join our exciting team and help make a real difference to the safety and wellbeing of children and young people across the borough, while strengthening our current workforce.
We’ve got your back
We recognise that social work can come with its own set of challenges, and we’re here to say - we’ve got your back.
- We foster supportive working environments
- We make sure caseloads are managed, which we know can make a huge difference to workloads
- We invest in you to make sure you have the right skills and experience
- We provide quality supervision
- We offer plenty of flexibility when it comes to personal situations and family priorities.
We’ve recently welcomed several experienced managers to Wigan and are in a really strong position to support you in your career development.
This all comes alongside a competitive salary, great staff benefits package and bespoke training, which you can read more about below.
What are we looking for?
We're looking for enthusiastic professionals for a range of roles.
Right this moment, we’re recruiting for permanent career opportunities in Children’s Services. We’re keen to recruit experienced social workers but also have regular opportunities for those that are newly qualified. We currently have vacancies for:
As a Social Worker, you will:
- Manage and conduct a range of assessments, planning and reviewing cases across a broad variety of practice
- Be a compassionate and dedicated professional, Social Work England-registered social worker, with children’s social care experience
- Have knowledge of children’s services legislative frameworks and legal proceedings and can make complex information accessible for every audience.
Children’s Services Advanced Practitioner
As an Advanced Practitioner, you will:
- Identify, assess, plan, implement and review the care needs of our most complex children and families
- Provide a safe, child-focused service using the ‘Signs of Safety’ framework and make sure we achieve outstanding personal development for every child in our care
- Support your team to deliver excellent standards of social work, helping them become leaders of the future by improving their practice and inspiring them on their own social work journey.
Children’s Services Team Manager
As a Team Manager, you will:
- Lead the development and delivery of effective social work practice in children’s social care
- Be responsible for ensuring that social work practice is safe, child focused and underpinned by the Deal principals
- Be responsible for embedding our practice model, which will be a crucial element to your role
- Ensure that we meet statutory requirements and drive practice
- Be a great people person, leading a team to work alongside our children, families and partners to keep them safe and help fulfil their aspirations.
What’s the salary?
We offer highly competitive salaries for staff working across our social care teams:
- Social Workers - £32,910 to £37,890
- Advanced Practitioners - £37,890 to £41,881
- Team Manager - £45,859 to £49,427
Our staff benefits package
Working for Wigan’s Children's Services means you’ll have access to a range of benefits:
- Supportive work environment
- Regular supervision and group reflection
- Reduced caseload for newly qualified
- Managed caseloads
- Bespoke training and support package for social workers at all levels of experience
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) opportunities
- Generous annual leave (up to 31 days) plus opportunity to buy up to an additional 10 (pro rata)
- Learning and development opportunities
- Agile and flexible working
- Free parking
- Health and wellbeing support
- Excellent pension scheme
- Shopping discount
- Gym membership discount
- Staff awards and recognition
- Green travel
- Based in Wigan - the heart of the North West with established travel networks from both Manchester and Liverpool.
Find out more about why you should work for Wigan Council (external link).
How do I apply?
If you’re interested in joining our friendly social care team, we would love to hear from you. To get in touch, you can: