Home contents insurance for council tenants

As a council tenant, Wigan Council will insure the structure of your home but this cover does not include what’s inside it, such as your furniture and personal belongings.

Replacing the contents of your home could prove very expensive. By purchasing tenants home contents insurance, your personal belongings will be insured against events including:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Flooding/escape of water
  • Accidental damage, if selected

We work with the UK’s largest insurer to offer home contents insurance that can be paid in weekly, fortnightly or monthly instalments.

Unlike some insurance policies, there are no excesses so you will not have to pay anything in the event of a claim.

What am I covered for?

Along with cover for household goods against fire, theft and flooding, we also provide cover for theft of your keys, the contents of your fridge and personal liability.

A full accidental damage option and other options to insure your personal belongings, hearing aids, motorised wheelchairs and pedal cycles are available at an additional cost. There is no cover for wear and tear or mechanical breakdown.

The policy offers cover on a ‘new for old’ basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, minus an amount for wear and tear.

How much does it cost?

The cost of insurance is payable weekly, monthly or fortnightly, with your rent:

You must keep up to date with your payments to make sure you are always covered. You may not be able to make a claim unless your payments are up to date.

Please be aware, if you under value your contents this will mean that if you claim you may not get the full value of your claim.

How do I apply?

To apply for tenants home contents insurance, you will need to:

We urge all tenants to take out household insurance, either through our special scheme or by making your own arrangements.

The policy is underwritten by Aviva Insurance Limited and administered by Wigan Council.

© Wigan Council