As a parent you are legally responsible for making sure that your child has an education, whether that is home education or at school.
If your child is at school you have a responsibility to make sure that they attend. If they cannot go for any reason you should tell the school and they may authorise the absence.
How we can help
If your child does not go to school regularly, we can work with them to improve their attendance by:
- Visiting pupils at home or in school
- Setting up monitoring systems
- Working with small groups of young people.
If there is still no improvement we will:
- Write to you to offer help and support
- Ask you to attend a Parenting Contract Meeting to set targets for your child’s attendance.
- If there is still no improvement we may take legal action.