Exclusions from school

There are two types of exclusion:

  • Fixed term - Schools can exclude pupils for up to 45 days.
  • Permanent exclusion - Schools can exclude pupils permanently due to their behaviour.

The Department for Education website (external link) has lots of help and support on dealing with exclusions including what to do if you don’t agree with the school’s decision.

Challenging an exclusion

There is a process that the parents can go through to raise concerns regarding an exclusion:

If after going through the relevant process, the parent is still not satisfied then it is advised that they contact the Local Government Ombudsman (external link) or Education Funding Agency (external link) (if it is an academy or a free school).

Supported transfers

When a pupil is at risk of being permanently excluded, they can be moved to another school for a fresh start in what is called a supported transfer.

Supported transfers usually last between six and twelve weeks and can have a positive impact on a child’s progress.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council