We hold records of birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates registered in the Wigan and Leigh area since 1837, when records began. We can only supply certificates for the records we hold.
What information do I need to provide?
You will need to provide:
- Name of deceased/name at birth/name at marriage
- Exact year the event took place
- Exact date if you have this.
If you're tracing your family history you will be able to find reference on the Lancashire BMD website.
A number of options are available when requesting a copy certificate. All certificate collections are from Wigan Life Centre (Monday-Friday, 9am - 5pm) and all prices include VAT.
|Premium (same day)
||£34 per certificate
||Available for collection only within 2 hours, Mon-Fri, 9am - 3pm. Certificates ordered after 3pm will be available 9:30am the following working day (fee includes a £24 administration charge).
|Express (next day)
||£22 per certificate
||Available to collect or post out within 1 working day (fee includes a £12 administration charge).
||£16 per certificate
||Available to collect or post out within 5 working days (fee includes a £6 administration charge).
- Birth or death registered within the last 28 days - The fee is £4 per certificate (on 16th February 2019 there will be a statutory increase to £11 per certificate) and is posted out within one working day by 2nd class post
- Pre-ordered certificates for weddings/civil partnerships - The fee is £4 per certificate (on 16th February 2019 there will be a statutory increase to £11 per certificate) and is posted out within 5 working days after the event.
Please note: Certificates that are not collected within 3 months from the date the application is made will be destroyed.
Administration fees cannot be refunded if:
Certificates by post
We use 2nd class post for standard certificates and 1st class post for express certificates.
The responsibility for the certificate’s delivery rests entirely with Royal Mail - you should report any lost certificates to Royal Mail claims (external link).
How to order
Fees are payable by debit/credit card when ordering your certificate online.
Further help researching your family history can be found at Wigan Archives and Local Studies.