We can issue birth, death, marriage and civil partnership certificates registered between 1837 to the present day, for events that took place in the Wigan and Leigh area only.
What information do I need to provide?
You will be required to provide:
- Name of deceased/name at birth/name at marriage
- Exact year the event took place
- Exact date if you have this.
Fees for certificates
You can order a certificate via the express or standard service:
- Express service - £22 per certificate which will be posted out within one working day, first class (the fee includes a £12 non-refundable administration charge for processing your application).
- Standard service - £16 per certificate which is posted out within 5 working days (the fee includes a £6 non-refundable administration charge for processing your application).
- If you require a certificate for a birth or death registered within the last 28 days, the fee is £4 per certificate and is posted out within one working day by 2nd class post.
- For pre-ordered certificates in advance of weddings/civil partnerships, the fee is £4 per certificate posted out within 5 working days after the event.
Certificates by post
We use 2nd class post for standard certificates and 1st class post for express certificates. The responsibility for the certificate’s delivery rests entirely with Royal Mail; any lost certificates should be reported to Royal Mail claims.
How to order
Same day service
There is a 2 hour collection service available Monday to Friday, 9am - 3pm for certificates. This service is only available if you attend in person at Wigan Life Centre North and costs £34 per certificate, payable when ordered (the fee includes a £24 non-refundable administration charge for producing your certificate).
Please note: Certificates that are not collected within 3 months from the date of the application form will be destroyed.
Further help researching your family history can be found at Wigan Archives and Local Studies.