We are committed to celebrating diversity and promoting equality throughout our services.
The Council's vision embodied in The Deal and The Deal 2030 ensures that Wigan is a place where people are supported to live healthy, fulfilling lives in thriving communities, particularly those most dependent on public services. It's a place where people want to work, invest, live and visit.
We believe that services should be arranged around individuals, their families, carers and communities. By working in more creative ways, we can better reflect the diversity of those who need support and improve service quality in the process.
How we achieve this is routinely monitored with equality and diversity targets forming an integral part of the Council’s core priorities.
We have adopted 5 equality aims for 2021:
Understanding our community
- Improve the quality of the Equality and Diversity information we collect and how we use it.
- Strengthen our approaches to engage with residents and communities ensuring that he, she or they feel valued and included (Having a different conversation).
- Build effective relationships with voluntary/community groups and Greater Manchester Combined Authority equality panels and boards to ensure a joined-up approach to equality issues, progress any shared actions and identify local priorities.
Celebrate and respect diversity in Wigan
- Promote events and education tools that celebrate diversity and addresses discrimination.
- Work with stakeholders, including schools, to promote social cohesion.
- Continue to build on our asset-based approaches to embed early intervention and prevention.
Gather robust equalities evidence and ensure transparency in our actions
- Continue to identify and review inequalities that have been exacerbated by COVID19 for all protected characteristics and take action to address any impact.
- Ensure Equality, Diversity and Inclusion is considered in the development of our future strategies, policies, and transformation / recovery plans
To ensure our emerging Community Wealth Building approaches are inclusive and promote Equality and Diversity
- Reducing socio economic disadvantage and poverty, by building wealth and opportunity for all our communities
Recruiting, developing, and retaining a diverse and representative workforce
- Improve the quality of workforce Equality and Diversity information we collect and how we use it.
- Develop and improve staff Equality and Diversity skills, ensuring staff have the confidence to support and engage the diversity of service users in the Borough
- Understand and improve staff experience and staff voice on equality issues
- Ensure equality of opportunity, so that all staff have the right support and opportunities to reach their full potential
The Public Sector Equality Commitment report highlights our progress so far on our objectives so far and our activities for the coming year. Our Improvement plan will be updated quarterly.
Equality and Diversity Steering Group
This group has been established to drive forward the improvement plan, bringing together key individuals from across the council with experience and passion for the equalities agenda.