We are committed to celebrating diversity and promoting equality throughout our services.
The Council's vision embodied in The Deal and The Deal 2030 ensures that Wigan is a place where people are supported to live healthy, fulfilling lives in thriving communities, particularly those most dependent on public services. It's a place where people want to work, invest, live and visit.
We believe that services should be arranged around individuals, their families, carers and communities. By working in more creative ways, we can better reflect the diversity of those who need support and improve service quality in the process.
How we achieve this is routinely monitored with equality and diversity targets forming an integral part of the Council’s core priorities.
We have adopted 5 equality objectives:
- Objective 1: Through the Deal, engage with partners, businesses, citizens and service users to improve our knowledge of Wigan communities and enable us to work together to improve opportunities for all in the borough.
- Objective 2: Foster good relations and promote understanding between people from different groups and backgrounds across Wigan.
- Objective 3: Embed equality and diversity within our policies and procedures.
- Objective 4: Enable staff to have the skills and knowledge to ensure that the needs of diverse and vulnerable groups are taken into account in both the development and delivery of services.
- Objective 5: Make Wigan Council an employer for all, where all our staff are engaged, valued and able to reach their potential.
See our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy which confirms our commitment to supporting equality across the Borough.
The Public Sector Equality Commitment report and Improvement Plan highlight progress on our objectives so far and our activities for the coming year. Our Improvement plan will be updated quarterly.
Equality and Diversity Steering Group
This group has been established to drive forward the improvement plan, bringing together key individuals from across the council with experience and passion for the equalities agenda.