Do I need to apply for a landlord licence?

You will need a licence to rent our your property if it is to be used as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO).

You are NOT  required to have a landlord licence and there is no other registering process, if your property is not to be rented out as an HMO.

What is a House in Multiple Occupation licence?

If your property has three or more storeys and houses five or more people who are not all related, you must get a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence from the council. Failure to do so could result in an unlimited fine.

What about selective licensing?

Selective licensing is normally introduced by councils to make sure properties in a designated area are managed properly and have a positive impact on the neighbourhood.

Wigan Council DO NOT currently operate a selective licensing scheme in any part of Wigan Borough. 

Becoming a landlord - do you know the rules?

The first thing people often think about when looking to rent out their property is how much rent they can charge and whether that amount covers any mortgage or loans secured on the property.

Many overlook the rules and responsibilities that come with being a private landlord, which is why we've created a simple guide to help you meet your obligations and avoid common mistakes.

© Wigan Council