Do I Need Planning Permission?

You are responsible for ensuring you have planning permission for any building or works you carry out on your business premises, if required.

If you do not own the property, you will need the owner or landlord to agree to any proposed building works. Talk to them before applying for planning permission.

Your neighbours may be affected by your proposals. You should talk to them about your plans before submitting an application.

Commercial properties

Works to commercial premises generally require planning permission.

Works to the inside of a commercial premises may be exempt if the use class or the way the premises will be used remains unchanged.

Permitted development

You can make certain types of minor changes to your premises without needing to apply for planning permission. These are known as permitted development rights.

Conservation areas and listed buildings

If the property is in a conservation area there are tighter controls limiting works that you can carry out without planning permission.

You will also need separate listed building consent to make alterations or do works to listed buildings.

Damaged or demolished building

Works to replace a damaged or demolished building do not automatically get planning permission.

For further information contact us.

New projects

To construct new commercial or residential premises you will need permission.

For larger projects, you may need to complete a Section 106 Legal Agreement. In this instance, developers should refer to:

© Wigan Council