Highway projection licence

You must apply for a licence to place private apparatus along, over or across a public highway.

The apparatus can be temporary or permanent and more common examples include:

  • Private telephone cables
  • Canopies.

How to apply

You must contact us with details of the type of apparatus you want to install (these are covered by Section 178 of the Highways Act 1980). You can do this by:

Large projections from buildings are covered by Section 177 of the Highways Act 1980, these include:

  • Balconies
  • Structural canopies
  • General building overhangs.


  • Section 178 Licence: £100 (VAT not applicable)
  • Section 177 Licence: £500 (VAT not applicable)

For section 177 licenses there may be additional costs for calculation checks.

Planning permission and insurance

Planning permission may be required if it has not already been granted.

You must have Public Liability Insurance cover (minimum £5 million).

A Street Works Accredited Supervisor is required for all people working on or over a public highway.

© Wigan Council