Appealing against a rateable value

Advice on how you can appeal against your rateable value. 

A person with an interest in a property (normally the owner and/or leaseholder) can make an appeal against its rateable value if they consider it is wrong. You can appeal against the rateable value shown in the 2017 valuation list, but you can no longer appeal against the rateable values shown in previous lists. 

You can appeal for any of these reasons:

  • physical change to the property (for example demolishing part of it) 
  • a change in use of the property 
  • a change in the local area 
  • a change in the use of a nearby property  If you want to appeal against the 2010 valuation list you must contact the Valuation Office Agency (external link)

Who do I appeal to?

The rateable value for a property is set by the Valuation Office Agency, not Wigan Council, and all appeals must be made to the Agency. You can appeal online and get more information about appeals on the Valuation Office Agency's website (external link)

Do I have to pay my bill during an appeal? 

You must continue to pay the rates requested on your bill even if you have made an appeal. We will automatically refund any overpayment to you as soon as the Valuation Office tells us your appeal has been successful. We will also pay you interest (at the rate set by the Government) on the amount that you have overpaid. 

If we have had to take legal action against you because you have not paid all of your bill or because your payments were not made on time, you will lose the right to be paid interest. 

Will transitional phasing affect my appeal? 

Transitional phasing means that the amount a bill can increase or reduce after a revaluation is restricted. If your property is subject to transitional phasing, your bill is based on the previous year's bill and not your current rateable value. 

This means that even if your appeal is successful in reducing your rateable value, the actual amount you have to pay may not change. 

Should I appoint a rating consultant or adviser?

You do not need to appoint an agent to deal with your appeal, but if you are considering using an agent you should be aware of the following information.

There are many reputable companies that will act as agent to deal with your appeal and they can offer expert professional advice which could help you to make a successful appeal. However, in recent years there have also been a number of 'cowboy' companies, who promise to obtain large reductions, but offer less than professional service and advice.

If you are thinking about employing an agent or consultant to act on your behalf you may want to consider appointing an agent who is a member of a recognised professional organisation such as:


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council