What is FANS?
FANS stands for Free Access for National Sportspeople and is a scheme designed to provide support to the county’s leading talented sports performers.
FANS provides nationally ranked sports people with free access to Be Well leisure facilities, the Pelican Centre and the running track at Robin Park Arena (Wigan Warriors) for 12 months.
What do I get as a FANS member?
You'll enjoy complimentary use of our leisure centres across Wigan borough, as well as the Pelican Centre and running track at Robin Park Arena (Wigan Warriors).
This includes free access to gyms, running track, swimming pools during peak periods. Please note, under 16’s will have to use supervised gym sessions (3.30-5.30pm or 8-10pm weekdays or weekends 1.30—6pm).
For bookable and timetabled facilities please contact the leisure centre to check space and availability i.e., badminton courts, running track, swimming lanes etc.
Facilities used by FANS members must be related to their training programme and cannot be used simply for recreational purposes. Exercise classes are NOT included as part of FANS.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible, athletes must be:
- Aged 14 or above (with the exception of gymnasts)
- Reside in Wigan borough (or their club must be based in Wigan borough)
- Team sport player (a current member of a national team or squad) OR
- Individual performers - currently listed in the top 10 of their national age group ranking at the end of the previous competition season.
How do I apply?
To apply for the FANS scheme, you will need to complete our online form:
As part of applying, you will need to email supporting documentation to show proof of national ranking in your chosen sport (if you are unsure about what is required please contact your sport's NGB) or provide a link (URL) to a web page featuring your national ranking or performance level in that sport - see list of all eligible sports (external link).
What happens next?
When we receive your application, we aim to update you within 10 working days of our decision and next steps if applicable.
If your application is successful, you will receive a letter confirming your FANS membership, which you can present at your preferred leisure centre for proof of eligibility. You can then start enjoying our fantastic facilities!
What we expect from YOU
In return for membership of the FANS Scheme, you will be expected to make every effort to attend promotional events and volunteer opportunities within the borough as requested by any of the participating partners and facilities.
FANS athletes are expected to complete a minimum of 6 hours volunteering over the 12 months. Athletes must keep Be Well up to date with their progress, performance results and volunteering to help us promote local talent and review memberships.
FANS terms and conditions
- FANS members must contact our leisure centres if wishing to use any bookable facilities relating to sport and training, such a tennis and badminton courts
- Membership to the scheme is valid for 12 months, pending continued sports performance at national or international level
- Use of facilities is conditional on there being no disruption to other users or additional costs
- We reserve the right to withdraw membership if the scheme is abused in any way
- We reserve the right to change the terms and conditions of the scheme, as well as withdraw the membership of any athlete deemed to no longer fit the criteria of the scheme or who is no longer operating within the ‘spirit’ of the scheme.
Need more information?
For further details or assistance with the application form, you can: