It’s 2022 and we’re back with a bang to recognise and reward rising sports stars and voluntary sector coaches, clubs and volunteers across Wigan Borough.
This prestigious event is sponsored by JJH Building Contractors Ltd (external link), and we want you to join us in celebrating the achievements of local athletes and the work volunteers do to support grassroots sports and community initiatives.
Get involved by nominating your sporting hero, perhaps its an inspiring club secretary, club official or volunteer? Maybe it’s someone who’s improved their quality of life through sport, or an outstanding team / club that have shown true commitment to their team and community, or worked to champion and empower others.
Take a look at the award categories below and get nominating!
How to nominate
Select the relevant category below to nominate your sporting hero.
- Changing Lifestyle Award (external link) - Recognising the efforts of an individual who has used sport or physical activity to transform their lifestyle for the better
- Club of the Year Award (external link) Recognising the achievements of a club, and demonstrating ongoing commitment and passion through opportunities they have given to everyone involved in the club over the last 12 months
- Inclusion in Sport Award (external link) - Recognising a project or organisation which has tackled inequalities through sport and physical activity, removing barriers and improving participant’s experience of sport / physical activity. It will have championed, inspired or empowered underrepresented groups, resulting in sustained or increased engagement over the past 12 months
- School Commitment to PE and Sport Award (external link) - Demonstrating how physical education and sport has had a positive impact across a whole school
- Team of the Year Award (external link) - Recognising the achievements of a club or school team who have achieved success and competed at a consistently high level throughout the year and demonstrated a dedication to training. While also demonstrating fair play and a good sporting attitude throughout the year.
- Unsung Hero in Sport Award (external link) - Recognising long-term outstanding service to the sport from an individual. Nominee must have been volunteering for at least 10 years.
- Volunteer of the Year Award (external link) - Recognising the efforts of a volunteer who is seen as invaluable within their club or local community, demonstrating their passion and commitment for volunteering
- Young Sports Achiever of the Year Award (external link) - A young athlete who is excelling and is demonstrating their dedication to training. Nominee should be a resident in the local area and be under 24. Athlete cannot be professionally funded through either an NGB or UK Sport.
Closing date for nominations is midnight 31st August 2022.
All nominations will be reviewed by an independent judging panel representing sport across Wigan.
To keep up to date on the latest awards news, follow Be Well Wigan @BewellW on Twitter (external link), Facebook (external link) and Instagram (external link), and tag us using #BelieveSportAwards.