Equipment and adaptations


A piece of equipment or technology has the potential to make daily living tasks easier. We hold a large stock of commonly issued items, so if you’re assessed as needing something we can get it to you quickly.

If you're assessed as needing a large, specialist item of equipment this may take a little time to arrive as we may need to order it directly from a company.

You may wish to buy your own items:


We carry out adaptations to your home so that you can continue to live as independently and as safely as possible. We want to help you look after your wellbeing and experience the best quality of life.

Following a social care assessment, if you need adaptations to your home, a trained assessor from either our early intervention team or the NHS will come to see you. Sometimes just simple adaptations are required, other times more major changes are needed.

Minor adaptations

Minor adaptations include grab rails, garden and path rails, half steps and stair rails. Small minor adaptations are completed within 7 days following receipt of an order and more bespoke minor adaptations within 28 days.

We aim to prioritise requests that indicate a more urgent need, and therefore provision is often much quicker than this.

There is no charge for adaptations under £1,000.

Major adaptations

Major adaptations include ramps, showers (wet rooms), stairlifts, ceiling track hoists, through-floor lifts, internal alterations and extensions. A major adaptation is classed as anything costing over £1000.

If you're assessed as needing a major adaptation the process is different depending on who owns your house.

  • If your house is council owned and the adaptations cost more than £10,000 we will discuss what options are open to you. We'll consider if adapting your home is the best solution or if it's better to support you to seek a more suitable home environment. As a council tenant there is no charge for recommended adaptations in your home
  • If your house is rented from a private landlord or if you own your own home, adaptations are funded by the Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) and the maximum grant is currently £30,000 for the recommended adaptations. The grant is means tested so you may have to pay something towards the cost. Your adaptation will be organised for you, though you have the option to organise it yourself in some circumstances. Major adaptations in Housing Association properties are joint funded with the DFG.

How soon can adaptations be made?

There are agreed timescales for each part of the adaptation process that we have control of. For example, stairlifts need to be manufactured to requirements and more complex adaptations (such as property extensions) require architect sketches and are usually subject to the planning application process.

All requests for clinical emergencies and cases involving life limiting conditions are marked urgent/priority and asked to be processed prior to standard cases.

Where it’s not feasible to adapt a property safely or adequately, we’ll work with you to identify alternative properties which are either suitable or adaptable. We recognise that adaptations to your home can be disruptive and we’ll work with you to identify what you’re finding it difficult at home and then help you to plan, in an appropriate and sensitive way, for the future.

How to request equipment or adaptations

If you require equipment or adaptations to your home, you will need to request an assessment of your needs:

© Wigan Council