How much will I have to pay?

Like all councils, Wigan Council charges for care services such as home care, day care, equipment etc., but how much you pay depends on your financial assessment. You may receive services:

  • Free
  • At a reduced cost
  • Or you may have to pay the full cost.

A financial assessment officer will contact you by telephone to complete an assessment form.

You will need to provide your national insurance number together will details of your income and savings. The information you give will help us to work out how much you should pay. 

They will also be able to help you to apply for any other benefits that you may be entitled to.

Will my savings affect the cost?

If you have more than £23,250, we will ask you to pay the full cost for services.

If you have less than £23,250, the amount you pay will depend on your financial assessment. 

How much are care services?

We have a charging policy for home care and day care services, which has been set in line with the government guidance.

Cost of care services
Home care £17.48 per hour
Individual support/outreach £17.48 per hour
Day care £38.00 per day, pro rata for part day
Assistive technology - monitoring and maintenance of equipment £3.93 per week
Assistive technology - mobile response service £2.00 per week

Disability-related costs to cover essential items (such as buying a stair lift or paying domestic help) may be offset against what you need to pay.

Paying your bill

We will send you a bill every four weeks for services you have already received. The simplest way to pay is by Direct Debit and the Financial Assessment Officer can help you set this up.

Look on the back of your bill for more details of how you can pay.

What happens if I don’t agree with the charge?

If you don't agree with the amount we are asking you to pay for your care, contact the person who has told you about your charge, or fill in an adult social care complaints form.

I'm self funding

If you are paying the costs of your care and support yourself see paying for your care and support (self funding) for further information.

Independent financial advice

If you are looking for financial advice, struggling with debt problems, or concerned about getting behind with bills, there are a number of organisations in the borough that can help.

© Wigan Council