Annual Care Contribution Changes

At the beginning of each financial year (April), benefit, council tax and state pension amounts change and tend to increase in line with inflation. The minimum amount of income people must be left with (to support with daily living expenses) is also reviewed and changes.

These changes impact on the amount a person will contribute to the cost of their care, in line with their current financial assessment.

For this financial year (2024/25), the uplifted charge will apply from 15th April onwards.

This is not a change in policy but a modernisation and improvement in our process.

This is also not a financial reassessment – no changes to how your contribution has been calculated have been made at all. The only change that has been applied has been the uplift in line with changes to benefits and pensions. This is something that we do every year, the only difference being that from 2024 onwards the process is automated.

As in previous years, full financial reassessments or reviews will be carried out annually to make sure a person’s financial assessment reflects their financial position.

My charge has gone down - is this correct?

Alongside announcing an increase in benefits and state pensions, the Government have also reviewed and increased the minimum amounts of income that a person must be left with to support daily expenses.  We have also reflected these changes in your financial assessment alongside increasing expenses such as council tax and DREs.

Depending on your financial circumstance, this could mean a reduction from your current charge.

What is a 'Disability-Related Expense' ("DRE")?

If you receive disability-related benefits, an allowance may be made in your financial assessment to include disability related spend to meet any needs not being met by the Council. These are called Disability Related Expenses ("DRE"). These expenses arise due to the need for specific goods and services related to their impairment or health condition.

When assessing someone’s care needs, local authorities consider these in a financial assessment. DRE’s apply to non-residential financial assessments if someone receives a community care service such as day care, home care, and Direct Payments. DRE’s do not apply to financial assessments for someone in residential care.

Wigan Council has developed a DRE factsheet to help you understand some of the more recognised DRE items, with associated indications of reasonable costs. This is used to assist in working out DRE allowances in your financial assessment.

What do I need to do?

If you pay by Direct Debit, you do not need to do anything. The amount charged for the four-week billing period will automatically be adjusted and requested each month on your usual billing date.

If you pay by Standing Order, you will need to contact your bank to amend the amount to be paid as stated above (NB – please do not change this amount until after payment for the period 18th March to 14th April has been made).

I don’t currently pay by Direct Debit but want to

Direct Debit is the easiest way to pay your care contribution and is the preferred method of most of our clients. It is also secure and will save you time when making payments.  If you are not currently setup to pay by Direct Debit and would like to pay this way, a Direct Debit can be setup over the phone by telephoning us on 01942 488350.

Alternatively, your paper bill will always include a Direct Debit mandate on the reverse – this should be completed and either returned in the post to the address at the top of the form or emailed directly to us at

Once your direct debit has been set up, we will provide confirmation of this on your next invoice and confirm the collection date.  Please continue to make any payments due by using any of the other methods indicated on the reverse of your invoice until you receive confirmation of your new direct debit collection dates.

I want to talk to someone about these changes

If you or the person receiving care are concerned about the cost, or wish to request a financial reassessment then please contact our team on: 01942 705031.

Financial Support

© Wigan Council