Where can I register a birth?
You must register a birth at a register office within 42 days of the child being born. You must do this in the district where the birth took place.
For all babies born in the district of Wigan and Leigh you can register the birth at either:
You must make an appointment.
For all appointments at Leigh Town Hall, you must check in at Leigh Library, Turnpike Centre, Civic Square, Leigh. Please note - there is no public access to Leigh Town Hall.
Making an appointment
Baby born outside Wigan and Leigh?
If your baby was born outside the district of Wigan and Leigh then you will need to go to the register office in the district in which the birth occurred.
If this is not possible you can still book an appointment at Wigan or Leigh Register Office, who will submit a declaration to the correct district so they can register your baby without you being present.
You will need to contact the relevant district to apply for any certificates.
Please note: your child will not be entered into the register at Wigan and Leigh but will be included on the register in the correct district.
Who can register?
If the parents of the baby are married to each other, either parent can attend to register the baby. If not, then the mother must attend to register the baby.
If the mother wishes to have the father’s details entered in the register, then both parents must attend.
What details will I need to register?
- Date and place of birth of the child
- Child’s forename(s) and surname
- Mothers’ name, date and place of birth, current or last occupation and date of marriage (if applicable)
- Discharge notes from the hospital if you still have them
- Passports, driving licences, marriage certificates or birth certificates for parents if you have them
You are welcome to bring your baby with you, but this is not required.
You will no longer be issued with a free short birth certificate.
If you require any certificates, the fee is £4 per certificate. You can pay and order up to 8 certificates when you book your appointment online.
- If you decide to pay for certificates at the time of your appointment, we accept debit/credit cards, we do not accept cash.
- For Platt Bridge appointments - we cannot accept any payment at the time of your appointment. Certificates should be ordered and paid for when you book your appointment, alternatively you can order certificates through MyAccount after the birth registration.