Where can I register a birth?
You must register a birth at a register office within 42 days of the child being born. You must do this in the district where the birth took place.
For all babies born in the district of Wigan and Leigh you can register the birth at:
You must make an appointment to register a birth.
Making an appointment
Please note the following:
Who should attend the appointment?
- If you are a married couple only one parent is required to register the birth
- If you are an unmarried couple and the mother wishes to have the fathers details entered in the register, then both parents must attend.
You are welcome to bring your baby with you, but this is not required.
What details will I need to register?
- Date and place of birth of the child
- Child’s forename(s) and surname
- Mothers’ name, date and place of birth, current or last occupation and date of marriage (if applicable)
- Passports, driving licences, marriage certificates or birth certificates for parents if you have them.
If you require any certificates, the fee is £11 per certificate. You can pay and order certificates when you book your appointment online.
- If you decide to pay for certificates at the time of your appointment, we accept debit/credit cards, we do not accept cash.
Baby born outside Wigan and Leigh?
You should contact the Register Office were the birth occurred.
If your baby was born outside the district of Wigan and Leigh then you will need to go to the register office in the district in which the birth occurred.
If this is not possible you can still book an appointment at Wigan or Leigh Register Office, who will submit a declaration to the correct district so they can register your baby without you being present.
You will need to contact the relevant district to apply for any certificates.
Please note that your child will not be entered into the register at Wigan and Leigh but will be included on the register in the correct district.