Where can I register a birth?
You must make an appointment.
What to do when you visit the Register Office
- Do not attend a birth registration appointment if you have tested positive or are displaying symptoms associated with COVID-19
- Only the person or people essential for the registration should attend the appointment. Anyone who is not required for the registration will not be permitted to enter the building
- On arrival and during your appointment you will be required to use hand sanitiser and comply with Public Health England guidance on social distancing
- If you have your own PPE please wear it to your appointment.
Making an appointment
Please note the following:
- We are offering appointments at Wigan Life Centre (now) and Leigh Life Centre (from 6th July)
- The registrations will be taken on a strict timetable
- You must arrive on time for your appointment or we will not be able to see you and you will need to book another appointment
- If you cannot make you appointment you must tell us by changing your appointment online
- If you do not cancel or attend your appointment it may be some time before you're offered another
- Your appointment will last no more than 20 minutes
- Due to the COVID-19 restrictions baby changing and feeding facilities will not be available.
Who should attend the appointment?
To minimise the number of people who are in contact with each other during this time of social restrictions:
- Do not bring the baby with you unless you have to
- Do not bring any other children or family members with you unless you have to
- If you are a married couple only one parent is required to register the birth
- If you are an unmarried couple both parents register the birth and both parents are required to attend the appointment together.
What details will I need to register?
- Date and place of birth of the child
- Child’s forename(s) and surname
- Mothers’ name, date and place of birth, current or last occupation and date of marriage (if applicable)
- Passports, driving licences, marriage certificates or birth certificates for parents if you have them.
If you require any certificates, the fee is £11 per certificate. You can pay and order certificates when you book your appointment online.
- If you decide to pay for certificates at the time of your appointment, we accept debit/credit cards, we do not accept cash.
Baby born outside Wigan and Leigh?
Due to the high demand for birth registration appointments, it is currently not possible to register a birth by declaration. This means you will not be able to come to Wigan or Leigh Register Office when you have had your baby elsewhere.
You should contact the Register Office were the birth occurred.