Where can I register a birth?
You must register a birth at a register office within 42 days of the child being born. You must do this in the district where the birth took place.
So, for babies born in the district of Wigan and Leigh you can register the birth at either:
- Wigan Register Office - Wigan Life Centre (North), Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm
- Leigh Register Office - Leigh Town Hall, Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm
You must make an appointment.
Making an appointment
Please note: We also offer a birth registration service at Platt Bridge Sure Start Children’s Centre every Thursday, 9.30am to 11.30am. Please call Platt Bridge directly to make an appointment.
Baby born outside Wigan and Leigh?
If your baby was born outside the district of Wigan and Leigh then you will need to go to the register office in the district in which the birth occurred.
If this is not possible you can still book an appointment at Wigan or Leigh Register Office, who will submit a declaration to the correct district so they can register your baby without you being present. All the certificates will then be posted to you.
Please note: your child will not be entered into the register at Wigan and Leigh but will be included on the register in the correct district.
Who can register?
If the parents of the baby are married to each other, either parent can attend to register the baby. If not, then the mother must attend to register the baby.
If the mother wishes to have the father’s details entered in the register, then both parents must attend.
What details will I need to register?
- Date and place of birth of the child
- Child’s forename(s) and surname
- Mothers’ name, date and place of birth, current or last occupation and date of marriage (if applicable)
- Discharge notes from the hospital if you still have them
- Passports, driving licences, marriage certificates or birth certificates for parents if you have them
You are welcome to bring your baby with you, but this is not required.
You will receive a free short birth certificate for the baby on the day.
If you want a full birth certificate you must pay £4 when you book your appointment, you can order up to 8 certificates.