Benefits and finances for armed forces

Former armed forces personnel on low incomes may be able to claim help towards rent through Housing Benefit, and Council Tax bill through the Council Tax Reduction scheme.

In recognition of the service given to the Wigan Borough, we do not include any of the following as income when assessing Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction if you were in the armed forces: 

  • War pensions
  • War disablement pensions
  • Service attributable or service invaliding pensions
  • War widows pensions
  • Any corresponding pensions payable to a widower or a surviving civil partner.

Find out more on Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction.

Having financial difficulties?

If you are already claiming Housing Benefit, but find yourself in financial or personal difficulties and struggling to pay your rent, you may be able to claim additional help through a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP). These payments provide short term help to assist residents in finding longer term solutions to difficult financial or personal circumstances.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council