Animal activity licence

The Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) (England) Regulations 2018 (external link) has changed the way certain activities involving animals is licensed and regulated.

Which activities need a licence?

Any person or business operating the following activities will need to apply for a licence:

Zoos and  Dangerous wild animals will continue to be licensed under the existing legislation.

Existing licence holders

Licences held under the current system will continue until the expiry date shown on the licence.

Before the expiry date of your licence, you will need to make an application for a licence under the new regulations.

You are advised to familiarise yourself with the new licence conditions to ensure you are able to comply with these before making a new application.

Please note:  The licence is non-transferrable should the premises / business be sold or taken over by another operator.  If the licence holder dies, the personal representative of the licence holder can take on the licence provided that they inform the local authority within 28 days of the death that they are now the operators.


The general conditions set by the legislation are as follows:

Public register

We maintain a public register of all the businesses which hold an animal activity licence, a copy of which is available below. This will be updated on a regular basis.


Rate the information on this page

green smiley (good) orange smiley (average) red smiley (poor)

© Wigan Council