Pollution Prevention Control

If you operate an industrial process that falls under Schedule 1 of the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2016 you will need to apply for an environmental permit.

There are three types of permits:

  • Part A1 permits - These are regulated by the Environment Agency and cover industries that are considered to be the most polluting - such as large scale power stations, chemical works and pharmaceutical production. A1 premises are regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations such as noise, vibrations, waste and energy usage
  • Part A2 permits - This category is regulated by us and is seen as a medium risk to the environment and human health. If you operate a galvanizer for example, you may be regulated as an A2 premises. A2 premises are also regulated for emissions to air, land, water and other environmental considerations
  • Part B permits - These industries are regulated by us and are considered to be less polluting. Industries such as cement batching plants, coating material manufacture, animal feed manufacture and vehicle refinishers will fall into this category, and they are only regulated for emissions to air.


You will be required to pay a one off fee for a new permit application. The amount is included in the application process.

Annual inspections and fees

Once a permit is issued, we will carry out inspections once or twice a year to make sure conditions are maintained. The permit holder will also need to pay an annual subsistence fee.

Application for New Environmental Permit

Electrium Sales Ltd

The company known as Electrium Sales Ltd, Leigh Road, Hindley Green, Wigan, WN2 4XY, has applied to Wigan Council for a permit to operate an electrostatic powder coating process.

The application has been placed on the public register.

Any written comments on the application should be made to Wigan Council at Environmental Health, Wigan Council, PO Box 100, Wigan, WN1 3DS or by email to regulation@wigan.gov.uk by 23rd May 2024.

Any written comments will be placed on the public register unless they include a statement requesting that this is not done. If there is such a request the register itself will just include a note that representations have been made which are not on the register because of such a request.

© Wigan Council