We are in the process of forming exciting plans for developing the Archives and Local Studies in Leigh town centre.
We are delighted to have received initial support from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) for the Regenerating Wigan Archives and Local Studies project.
The project aims to redevelop the Borough’s Archives, based at Leigh Town Hall, with the creation of a new public searchroom, heritage exhibition space and expanded specialist storage strongrooms for the archive collections.
Initial funding of £51,000 towards professional development of the plans has been awarded to help Wigan Council and the Archives progress plans to apply for a full grant.
This page will be regularly updated with information about the progress of the project, how you can give your feedback on proposals as they develop and how you can get involved to volunteer your time to help us create a successful new archive facility.
The project aims to develop a full scheme to carry out work in the following areas:
- The creation of a new modern searchroom for access to the archives for customers and volunteers on the ground floor of Leigh Town Hall
- A new museums and archive exhibition space and community room in the vacant shop units on the Market Street side of the Town Hall
- New and renovated storage to increase archive capacity within the Town Hall for the Borough’s 800 year old collection of historic records
- New conservation facilities for new and existing volunteers to help us conserve, catalogue and digitise collections cared for by the Archives
- A new cafe space in the foyer of Leigh Town Hall
- Facilities for groups, talks, workshops and schools wishing to visit the Archives
- A programme of outreach and engagement activities, helping the Archives to both raise awareness of the Borough’s history and to encourage people to donate records to the Archives for preservation.
Please view the proposed plans:
Get in touch
If you have any questions about the project or getting involved, we would love to hear from you. Please get in touch using our feedback form.