Affordable home providers

A private registered provider of social housing, known simply as a registered provider (RP), and sometimes referred to as a housing association, is an organisation which provides affordable and social housing to rent, and sometimes buy, and support to local communities.

They are usually non-profit organisations, and so they re-invest surplus revenue to ensure the longevity of their existing homes or used to finance new affordable home developments.

By working with various RPs, Wigan Council ensures that there is a wide range of affordable housing on offer, with RPs responsible for much of the new development of affordable housing in the Borough.

Affordable Home Ownership

Affordable Home Ownership covers shared ownership and rent to buy scheme which Homes England funds using the Affordable Homes Programme. Before April 2023, it was mandatory for you to sign up with a Help to Buy Agent to be able to apply for a low-cost home ownership scheme. The Help to Buy Agent services will end and as of 1 April 2023, a new service will be available on (external link). The new service will allow you to:

  • check if you are eligible online for a low-cost home ownership scheme
  • find an organisation providing affordable homes yourself, using a new online search directory designed and built by Homes England.

It is important to note that the Council’s equity loan scheme is not included in the Affordable Home Ownership Programme.

A number of registered providers have properties throughout Wigan. You can register your interest and explore their current listings using the links below:

Top tip - Affordable homes are in high demand across the borough. Our RP’s advise you register for interest for any sites which match your needs so you don’t miss out on any opportunities.

© Wigan Council