Wigan’s early implementation programme has progressed well since September 2016. You can view the feedback (external link) received from parents accessing 30 hours free childcare in Wigan.
The government is aiming to make childcare more affordable for working parents. They will do this by increasing free early education from 15 up to 30 hours per week for 38 weeks of the year for some 3 and 4 year old children.
Do I meet the criteria?
Early implementation - update 2017
Wigan is a pilot area offering 415 places for eligible families from September 2016. As of January 2017, Wigan has been allocated a further 150 x 15 hours places. We have expanded our programme to include settings within a 1.6 mile radius around Westleigh Start Well Centre. You check with individual childcare providers on the Family information service if they have any places available:
- Leigh Westleigh Methodist Primary School
- Ambrose Day Nursery
- Appy Little Plums
- Honey Bears Day Care
- Kate’s Kindergarten
- Newton Westpark Nursery
- Squirrels Day Nursery
- Twist Lane Nursery
- Bluestone Day Nursery
- Leigh Central Community Pre-School
- The Avenue Private Day Nursery
- ABC Castle Nursery Leigh
The focus of Wigan’s trial will include the following:
- The development of early years clusters which will bring together early years providers to work in partnership and develop childcare packages designed to offer parents more flexibility in how they use their entitlement.
- Offer support to long term unemployed who had citied childcare expense as a barrier to returning to work.
- The Department for Education has also asked the council to focus on the inclusion of children with special educational needs and disability in the pilot.
- Share learning and good practice on a local and national level to support a smooth transition into full roll out from September 2017.
Parents can access information relating to tax free childcare which is being introduced later this year and eligibility checking for the 30 hours on GOV.UK website (external link).
Locations/Childminders operating the pilot scheme
You can find each of these providers on the Family information service.
- Beech Hill Community Primary (Nursery)
- Brooklands Childcare - First Avenue
- Brooklands Childcare - Market Street
- Busy Bees - Marylebone
- Busy Bees - Scholes (Nu-Nu)
- Canon Sharples Nursery CE Primary School
- Club 15 - Canon Sharples CE Primary School
- Douglas Valley Nursery School & OOS club
- Heron Day Nursery & OOS club
- Hindley All Saints' CE Primary School
- Hindley Green Community Primary School
- Hindley Surestart Nursery
- Ince CE J&I School
- Little Acorns (Oasis Daycare) & OOS
- New Lodge Pre-School
- OOS club Hindley All Saints Kidz Club Ltd
- Parsons Walk Nursery
- Play Pals OOS club (North West) Hindley Green CP School
- Play Pals OOS club (North West) St Peters C of E Primary
- Rose Bridge Day Nursery
- Sacred Heart RC Primary, Springfield
- St Patrick's Nursery & OOS Club Catholic Primary School
- St Williams Catholic Primary (Nursery)
- The Wendy House Nursery Ltd
- Whitley Pre-School
- Childminder: Mary Ashton
- Childminder: Sandra Bielecki
- Childminder: Vicky Hampson
- Childminder: Kate Hill
- Childminder: Rebecca Middlehurst
- Childminder: Wendy Nelson
- Childminder: Joanne Pownall
- Childminder: Judith Richardson