A baby naming or family welcoming ceremony is a special, non-religious way of celebrating the birth of your baby or welcoming stepchildren or an adoptive child into a new family.
Children of any age can have a ceremony and if you wish, you can include your other children as well as your new child.
Any parent can arrange a family welcoming ceremony whether married or not.
Choosing a venue
You can have a ceremony at one of our council venues or approved premises.
What will the ceremony include?
Your ceremony will normally contain some, or all, of the following:
- Celebrating the birth and welcome of your child into your family with your friends and relatives
- Announce the names that you have chosen and, perhaps, explain the story and reasons for the choice
- Parents, supporting adults (family and friends) and grandparents make promises of commitment and pledge to nurture and support your child into adult life
- Choose other adults prepared to promise a special supportive relationship to your child
- Include readings or poems of your choice or your Celebrant can suggest and advise.
- Music that is special to you
- A special book for guests to write down wishes for your child’s future
- Enhancements include a Unity Sand ceremony, where parents and children pour different coloured sand into a clear vase symbolising their unity and togetherness as a family.
A non-refundable booking fee is payable for booking your ceremony. All fees include a commemorative certificate.
Booking your ceremony
Once you have chosen your venue, you will need to book the date and time of your ceremony.
To book a ceremony you will need to complete our ceremonies enquiry form and a Registrar will contact you to confirm your booking, discuss your requirements and take your payment.
Bookings can be made up to 2 years in advance and there is a non-refundable booking fee payable. The booking fee confirms the date, time, and place of your ceremony.
Commemorative Birth Certificate
You can purchase a Commemorative Birth Certificate, which you can personalise with your own message such as 'Welcome to the World'. The certificate costs £5.