A number of businesses around the Wigan Borough and surrounding areas have pledged their support to serving, ex and reserve armed forces and their immediate family, by signing a Corporate Covenant.
Below is a list of those businesses who have already signed the covenant and what they offer:
Formed in 1995, The Hughes Brothers (external link) is a construction company in Wigan Borough that has expanded to serve the Northwest of the UK. With close links to the local authorities, we frequently win building and maintenance projects in the public sector.
Hughes Brothers Ltd recognises the value of serving personnel, reservists, veterans and military families and will uphold our pledge of support wherever possible by:
- Supporting the employment of veterans and service spouses and partners
- Offering a degree of flexibility in granting leave for Service spouses and partners, before, during and after a partner’s deployment
- Supporting any employees who choose to be members of the reserve forces, including accommodating their training and deployment
- Offering support to local cadet units
- Deliver building projects for our armed forces families
- Actively participate in Armed Forces Day
- Offering a discount to members of the armed forces community
- Hughes Construction Ltd will sponsor a cadet to the sum of £1000 to support them through their cadet training and qualification.
Leigh Centurions (external link) have never been far away from the forefront of rugby league and were indeed one of the first pioneers of our sport and a founder member back in 1895.
The club plays their home games at the Leigh Sports Village Stadium, and through the Leigh Community Trust uses the power of sport to enhance the lives of the local community.
We do it by delivering projects which give sports, health, education, inclusion and volunteering opportunities to young people in the area.
The covenant was signed in partnership with Wigan Council and Leigh Community Trust. New projects at the club as part of the covenant scheme include:
- The club officially recognises the value serving personnel, veterans and military families contribute to the club
- Using the Ticket for Troops scheme to make free match tickets available for serving personnel and veterans for selected matches.
Ozonefit (external link) deliver military style fitness, team building activities and events into schools and within Lancashire's finest parks.
We adapt our sessions for all abilities and our business is delivered by motivational Ex military instructors who endeavour to inspire by actions, promote British values and act as good role models for others.
To continue our support for the armed forces community and to uphold the values of the covenant we pledge to:
- Free advice for anyone considering the fitness industry as a career
- Look to actively recruit ex services staff, interviews guaranteed for those who possess a Level 2 fitness qualification or are working towards it
- 30% discount to veterans and their spouses who wish to join Ozonefit as a member
- Free support to those training for the forces in the form of fitness and preparation advice.
Wigan and Leigh College
Wigan and Leigh College (external link) has been providing high-quality education and training locally for over 150 years. It is the only General Further Education College in the towns of Wigan and Leigh, serving a population of approximately 310,000.
We seek to uphold the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant by:
- Promoting the fact that we are an armed forces friendly organisation by having a lead Armed Forces Officer and dedicated web page
- Supporting the employment of veterans young and old and preventing social isolation by offering a free IT course where funding is available
- Supporting the successful transition for those leaving the armed forces by working with colleagues in Greater Manchester to develop relevant courses and offering relevant job interview techniques and CV writing
- Supporting the Cadet Awards ceremony
- Raising awareness regarding careers within the armed forces.
- Supporting any employees who choose to be members of the reserve forces, including accommodating their training and deployment where possible
- Actively participate in Armed Forces Day and working with Wigan Council to support events.
Wigan Athletic Community Trust (external link) is a registered charity working across four areas; Football and Sport, Community Cohesion, Education and Health. The trust aims to increase opportunities for young people and families to be involved with Wigan Athletic FC - from playing, coaching, watching and supporting, to raising their aspirations or improving health and wellbeing.
We are committed to supporting the armed forces community in Wigan - from providing free match tickets to Wigan Athletic home games through the Tickets for Troops scheme, to running free sports and physical activity sessions for ex-servicemen and women.
For more information about Wigan Athletic Community Trust please contact 01942 488 530 or by email.
New projects at the club as part of the covenant scheme include:
- A complimentary match ticket scheme through the Tickets For Troops initiative along with a 50% discount for veterans and their families
- Allowing local cadet units to raise funds on a match day through charity collections
- Supporting employees who have spouses and partners in the armed forces as well as employees who are reservists
- Working through Wigan Athletic Community Trust with Wigan Council to establish and support an ex-armed forces and serving personnel football project.