If you believe a vehicle has been abandoned and it's something we can investigate (see table below), you can report it to us.
Please note, a vehicle must be left in the same place for 6 weeks or more before we will consider further investigation.
Before you report an abandoned vehicle
There may be legitimate reasons why a car has been left somewhere, for example:
- The owners are visiting a relative
- The owners are sick or in hospital
- The owners are on holiday
- The vehicle has broken down
- The owner doesn’t have a need to use the vehicle at present (in these circumstances, so long as the vehicle is taxed, has an MOT and is legally parked, no further action would be taken).
How we decide if a vehicle is abandoned
When you report an abandoned vehicle, we will firstly determine if the vehicle meets the abandoned vehicle criteria in the table below to help us decide if we can investigate. This may involve a site visit by an inspector.
How do I report it?
When you report an abandoned vehicle, please try and provide the following details:
- Registration number of vehicle (if there is a number plate)
- Make, model and colour of vehicle
- Precise location of vehicle
- Approximately how long the vehicle has been there for.
To report an abandoned vehicle login or register for MyAccount and select 'Add report'.