If you’re a young person from a different background and want to tell us your story, or pass on advice to other young people who have come to live here from other countries, please get in touch at LINC2@wigan.gov.uk
If you’re aged 7-18 and have recently come to live in Wigan or Leigh from a different country, you can come and join us.
There are two young people’s groups in the borough that are just for young people from different ethnic backgrounds.
You can do activities such as arts and crafts, music, singing, dancing and sports. You'll meet new friends, share languages, get support, advice and information and have discussions.
Junior Kamoši is for children aged 5-11.
Kamoši (pronounced ‘Kamoshi’) means ‘friends’ in Slovak.
This group is run by an organisation called Community Arts North West. This group runs on Saturday mornings in the Leigh area. Please contact Community Arts North West on 0161 234 2980 for more information.
The senior group is now called Global Friends and is run by Wigan Council. This group meets on Thursdays after school in the Leigh area. Please contact Mehmood M.Ahmed@wigan.gov.uk or Louise Louise.Russell@wigan.gov.uk
Young people from the Kamoši groups told us why they like going along:
- We have fun, speak different languages and show that we can do something different
- I have made new friends
- I like doing performances and helping people
- It helps you do things even when you’re scared
- The best thing is having fun and eating!
- I have made loads of friends
- If you don’t have any friends, come here because you will make friends
- Eating pizza!
- It’s made me feel confident
- Dancing, beat boxing and singing
- I’ve learned how to dance
- It’s friendly, people here make you welcome
- I’ve learned how to be respectful and determined.
Services that might be useful: