In Wigan Borough we believe that everyone has the right to live a long and healthy life and by 2020 we want to turn that belief into a reality.
We know issues such as debt, poor housing and social isolation can have a negative impact on a person’s health and wellbeing so we’ll work hard to provide training and job opportunities, good quality housing and keep people connected to their local community. We’ll also ensure that our high quality health services are accessible and sustainable.
But we can’t achieve this alone. We need you to take control and take responsibility for your own health and wellness.
How will we achieve this?
The long term health and wellbeing of residents will only be secured if organisations and individuals work together to take charge of the health needs of the borough.
- Ensure there are a wide range of facilities within local communities including parks, open spaces, leisure, safe cycling routes, good quality housing
- Ensure easy, timely access to good quality GP services, seven days a week, to screen, diagnose and treat and prevent disease as early as possible
- Support families to ensure their children have the best start in life
- Support people to live well, helping those who are unemployed into work or training and helping them benefit from the fastest growing economy in the UK
- Assist people to age well by keeping them healthy and connected to their communities for as long as possible in their own home.
- Keep active at whatever stage of life
- Register with a GP and go for regular check-ups – taking charge of your own health and wellbeing
- Quit smoking. Drink and eat sensibly and encourage your children to do the same
- Take time to be supportive parents or guardians, encouraging children to be the best they can be
- Take advantage of training and job opportunities, setting high aspirations for yourself and your family
- Support older relatives, friends and neighbours to be independent for as long as possible
- Get involved in your local communities.