During lockdown lots of our residents were looking to their own back yard for well-needed rest and tranquillity so we asked people to get off the sofa and dust off their gardening gloves.
You didn’t even need a garden to take part - hanging baskets, window boxes and even a pot on their doorstep counted. Lots of people got working on their own green slice of heaven, be it big or small!
How were the winners decided?
The competition was split into 5 categories. A shortlist of three in each category was selected by our Borough In Bloom committee and the final winners were chosen by a public online vote. The categories were:
- Junior garden (open to those aged 15 and under)
- Container garden (includes hanging baskets, house plant displays, front step/patio planters, and window/balcony boxes)
- Edible garden
- Most beautiful place
- Most creative garden.
We received over 40 entries from people aged 3-75. The winners were:
- Junior garden - Lily Molyneux
- Container garden - Layla Rose Duggan
- Edible garden - Harvey Lane Backs Community Garden
- Most beautiful place - John Chapman
- Most creative garden - Lee-Anne Mather.