Most of us are currently spending more time than usual at home, so we’ve put together a new competition which celebrates all the gorgeous gardens across our borough.
We’re asking everyone to get off the sofa and dust off their gardening gloves. You don’t even need a garden to take part - hanging baskets, window boxes and even a pot on your doorstep counts. It’s time to get working on your own green slice of heaven, be it big or small!
How it works
All you need to do is:
- Take a photo of your garden looking it’s best
- Write down a few words about why you love your greenspace
- Email the photo and your description to firstname.lastname@example.org along with your name, address and age.
The deadline for the competition is the 31st May 2020.
By entering the competition, you agree to your photograph and description being used on Wigan Council’s social media channels.
Please only submit photographs which you have taken yourself or have gained the written consent of the owner to use.
How will the winners be decided?
The competition is split into 5 categories. A shortlist of three in each category will be selected by our Borough In Bloom committee and the final winners will be chosen by a public online vote on Wigan Council’s Facebook page.
The categories are:
- Junior garden (open to those aged 15 and under)
- Container garden (includes hanging baskets, house plant displays, front step/ patio planters, and window/balcony boxes)
- Edible garden
- Most beautiful place
- Most creative garden.
Winners in each category will be awarded a gardening book and gardening vouchers for a local garden centre worth £50.
Do you need some inspiration to get started?
We’re going to be sharing lots of handy tips to help you along the way so please follow us on Facebook, or Instagram for expert help and creative ideas.
Find a local gardening supplier
It may be a little trickier than usual to go shopping so we’ve compiled a list of local businesses who are doing deliveries of plants and general gardening supplies.
You will need to get in touch with each business directly for further details.
Don’t forget you can also pick up seeds, compost etc. at your local supermarket when combined with your essential food shopping trip.
If you own a gardening delivery service located in Wigan borough and would like to be added to the list then please contact email@example.com.
List of suppliers
- Alder Lane Nurseries - 10 Alder Lane, Hindley Green, Wigan, WN2 4ET. Visit the Alder Lane Nurseries website (external link) or call 01942 255141
- Bickershaw Hall Nurseries - Bickershaw Lane, Wigan, WN2 4AA. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01942 866400
- Goldendays Garden Centre - Goldendays Wigan, Back Lane, Appley Bridge, Standish, Wigan, WN6 8RS. Visit the Goldendays Garden Centre website (external link) or call 01257 423355
- Kiwi Nurseries - Arbour Lane, Standish, Wigan, WN6 0YJ. Visit the Kiwi Nurseries website (external link) or call 01257 472511
- Moss Bank Nurseries - Hooten Lane, Leigh WN7 3DG. Call 01942671787
- Rectory Nurseries Duffy’s - 97 Rectory Lane, Ashton-in-Makerfield, WN4 0QD. Call 01942 715160.