Children's social care complaints procedure

We need your help to find out if we’re getting it right.

Customer care involves listening to people and acting on what they say. We want to know what you think about children's social services, so that we can learn from you and improve standards.

Help us get things right first time or put things right, as quickly as possible.

What do you think?

Whether you receive a service yourself or have a valid interest in the service being provided to someone else, we want to hear from you. Share with us:

  • Your compliments - If we have got things right or you are satisfied with the service
  • Your complaints - If we have got things wrong or you disagree with a decision
  • Your comments - If you have ideas or suggestions to improve our services.

How you can tell us

If your concern is about a children's home, fostering agency or an adoption agency, it may be appropriate to contact Ofsted, Piccadilly Gate, Store Street, Manchester, M1 2WD.
Phone: 0300 123 1231. Text: 60085. Email:

What response can you expect?

  • Comments and compliments - We will acknowledge that we have received your comment or compliment usually within 5 working days
  • Complaints - We will try to sort out complaints with the appropriate manager looking into the complaint (Stage 1) and replying to you within ten working days of them receiving it. This may be extended by a further ten working days if necessary.

If you believe your complaint is very serious, you cannot sort it out with the manager responsible, or there is an unacceptable delay in responding to you, you can make a 'formal' complaint (Stage 2).

To do this, write to us at Children and Families Social Care Complaints team, PO Box 100 WN1 3DS or call 01942 489 808.

Do you need help to say what you think?

Advocates are independent from the council, and can help you to say what you think.

If a child or a young person wishes to make a complaint, we are required to provide them with information about advocacy services and help them to obtain an advocate.

If you are an adult and need help to express your views, we may be available to arrange for an advocate to help you.

© Wigan Council