All sites are currently open, however we would advise you check this before beginning your journey.
Kirkless, Makerfield Way, Higher Ince, WN2 2PR
Open Monday - Friday, 8am till 8pm
Weekends and Bank Holidays 9am till 6pm
Sites closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
2 metre height restriction, 2 sections of speed bumps, please drive slowly.
Accepted: Cars with or without a single axle trailer. Vans, pick-ups under 3.5 tonnes and twin-axle trailers require a permit (maximum trailer length 4 metres long).
When attending site please observe the 5mph speed limit.
Please note there are now additional sections of speed bumps in use at the entrance and exit to the Kirkless site due to several recent speeding and near miss incidents.
Slag Lane, Leigh, WA3 1BZ and Chanters Industrial Estate, Atherton, M46 9FF
Open everyday 8am till 9pm
2 metre height restriction
Accepted: Cars with or without a single-axle trailer. Vans, pick-ups under 3.5 tonnes and twin-axle trailers require a permit (maximum trailer length 4 metres long for Chanters, 3 metres for Slag Lane).
All sites are closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year's Day.
Find out where your local recycling point is.
Items which can be recycled at the centres
- Paper, cardboard and telephone directories
- Mixed textiles and clothes
- Foil, cans and aerosols
- Scrap metals
- Hard plastics and plastic bottles
- Small electrical appliances
- Large domestic appliances
- Televisions and computer monitors
- Fluorescent tubes and eco bulbs
- Soil, wood and rubble
- Cooking oil
- Garden waste
- Used engine oil, tyres and car batteries
- Gas bottles
- Asbestos (only accepted at Kirkless Household Waste and Recycling Centre. An appointment must be arranged beforehand).
Trade waste is not accepted at these sites.
- 5mph speed limit at all sites
- Tipping machines can not be used
- Pedestrians can not carry waste onto sites
- Access to sites will be removed for people using abusive or intimidating behaviour
If you decide to take items to the recycling centre and need to use a trailer or van, you may need to apply for a free permit in advance. One permit per month is available for each vehicle.