Where can I register a birth?
Babies born within the District of Wigan and Leigh can be registered at Wigan and Leigh Register Office.
A birth must be registered within 42 days of a child being born at the Register Office of the district where the birth takes place.
You must make an appointment to register a baby at Wigan Life Centre (North), The Wiend, or Leigh Town Hall, Market Street.
Who can register?
If the parents of new baby are married to each other, either parent can attend to register the baby. If the parents are not married to each other, then the mother must attend to register the baby. If the mother wishes to have the father’s details on the register, he must attend with the mother to register the baby.
What details will I need to register?
- Date and place of birth of the child
- Child’s forename(s) and surname
- Mothers’ name, date and place of birth, current or last occupation and date of marriage (if applicable)
- Discharge notes from the hospital if you still have them
- Passports, driving licences, marriage certificates or birth certificates for parents if you have them
You will receive a free short birth certificate for the baby on the day. You can also pay £4 for a full birth certificate (card only).
Registering a still birth
Please contact the Register Office on 01942 489003 for further assistance.