Wigan Council has been allocated funding through Greater Manchester’s Growth Deal Minor Works.
Take a look at our proposals for improving cycling and walking.
Proposed Junction Improvement Scheme - A49/M58 Interface (Smithy Brook)
- Reduction of central refuge island to create additional traffic lanes in both directions on the A49 Warrington Road (between Smithy Brook Road and the A49 Link Road roundabout)
- Creation of an additional left turn lane on the A49 Warrington Road, into Smithy Brook Road
- Two-way segregated cycle facilities to aid connectivity and maintain road safety for users
- Installation of segregated cycle and toucan crossings at the existing traffic signalised junction of Smithy Brook Road/Warrington road.
Currently the B5238 Poolstock is used as an alternative to the A49 and as a result is one of Wigan’s most congested corridors. This creates environmental problems on a narrow road fronted by terraced properties.
Following the completion of the A49 link road scheme, we propose to carry out environmental improvements on Poolstock, taking advantage of the released road space to promote sustainable transport measures and maintain road safety.
Currently Poolstock and Poolstock Lane (B5238) is used as an alternative to the A49 and as a result is one of Wigan’s most congested corridors. This creates environmental problems on a narrow road fronted by terraced properties.
Following the completion of the A49 Link Road scheme, we propose to carry out environmental improvements on Poolstock, taking advantage of the released road space to promote sustainable transport measures and maintain road safety.
In March 2019 we carried out a public consultation for the scheme where local people had the chance to ‘have their say’ on what they would like to see happen in the area. These responses have been taken into consideration and will be used to inform the design of the scheme.
- You Said, We Will - Find out more about your responses and how they will be used to inform our scheme design.
Eastern Gateway / Rodney Street
This scheme aims to transform the environment for pedestrians and cyclists by addressing the current severance posed by the ring road (River Way). This will be achieved by providing safe and direct walking and cycling routes with crossing facilities on recognised desire lines between origins and destinations.
The works will involve improvements to the junctions of River Way and Harrogate Street/Rodney Street/Millgate and Darlington Street/King Street to improve access into the town centre for pedestrians and cyclists travelling from the south and east.
Ultimately, our ambition is to develop a parallel cycling route adjacent to the ring road connecting all radial routes with the town centre.
Central Boulevard (Wallgate to Wigan Pier)
We are proposing a new link between the town centre and Wigan Pier, with an improved environment for pedestrians and cyclists. The proposed scheme will also consider future links into and around the Wallgate / North Western station gateway area.